Whats Taking 2.1 So Long To Be OTA ??

olletsocmit

Reaction score
Why is it not out yet? since the Nuxus released, i thought we would have the official version OTA. Or at least be able to go to the verizon store and get it. I am sick of waiting. And yes, i know i can do it manually.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
We just go 2.0.1 very recently. Be patient. It will come when it comes. The very generous date that the Droid could get 2.1 is still weeks away, and that date may not even be accurate. Enjoy your phone like it is, or manually update to 2.1 now.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
It hasn't been released to the manufacturers/carriers yet to be pushed out. Be patient, we'll get it.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
I only want it so I can get these active wallpapers. I THINK there is a way we can do it already but from what I saw, the process could possibly brick the phone.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I always love people who think it should just be ready now ...

Yes, it was released for N1, OPTIMIZED for the N1. It has not been given to Moto.

Let's figure that Moto only now got their hands on it as Google released it open source this week. No one can confirm that they have it yet.

They have to take it and now optimize it for the Droid's HW.

Some of us here are taking the conservative approach: it may be on the 22nd, but don't hold your breath.

Other than live wallpapers and the OS core tweaks itself, you can install apps from 2.1 to hold you over until it does come out (no rooting involved either, just install APK and use ASTRO).

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why is it not out yet? since the Nuxus released, i thought we would have the official version OTA. Or at least be able to go to the verizon store and get it. I am sick of waiting. And yes, i know i can do it manually.
You're sick of waiting? Find out how often Blackberrys, WinMo phones, and iPhones get updates/upgrades and then tell me how sick you are of waiting. We got a nice update not long ago and a new update is planned hopefully for this month. That is already REALLY generous. Just because the Nexus has 2.1 doesn't mean they can just throw it on the Droid. It's a different phone with different hardware, it takes time to make it work well, thats why all the 2.1 roms tend to have a little screwyness to them, because they were written for the Nexus originally.

yoopermjm

Reaction score
Ahhhhh Grasshopper. Press your fingertips together and take a deep breath.
Now exhale. Now go outside for a walk and leave your droid at home for awhile.
Watch the sunset or the moon rise.

There, that's better isn't it? :)

frbooker87

Reaction score
Yea I'm ready for the update as well...hmm maybe ill play a little gameboid to get it off my mind. :) The Droid should be enjoyed at all times.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"The Droid should be enjoyed at all times."

Too true.

Not to flame the OP, but the same people who scream for it "Now" are the first back here complaining about the bugs as well.

Always been like this in dev, if you give it to them early, bugs abound, if you wait too long to release a stable rev, you have complaints. It's just how it goes.

iPirate

Reaction score
Once we get 2.1 will you want 2.5 right away? When will the madness end! :icon_eek:

hughesjr

Reaction score
Google had not made the Source Code for 2.1 available until after the Nexus was released 2 days ago.

The Source code needs to be compiled on the hardware platform. It then needs to be tested.

Bucknell2013

Reaction score
A bunch of people have already said what I am about to say: patience! Our update timing has been incredible.

I think a 2.1 sticky may be in order...I've been seeing a lot of these threads pop up lately. Live wallpapers? Big whoop. I had them when 2.1 WAS installed on my droid and it adds nothing to my user experience but a more burdened graphics processor.

I love my droid and when the update comes, cool. Until then, enjoy the forums :) and consider reading up on a topic before posting man. A quick review of the boards and you will find plenty of threads related to 2.1.

Happy Droiding

-M

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I think another thing that we should consider is that besides a couple of HW differences, one of the major things that sets the N1 apart from the Droid is the 2.1 OS. I think Google may want to leave that exclusive to the N1 for more than a week. The majority of users aren't downloading software or rooting their Droid to gain some of its features. I have a feeling that Jan. 22nd will bring only the improvements mentioned in the update list we've all seen, and not 2.1. Trust me, I really hope we get it, but I'm not holding my breath. We may not see it until the N1 is on Verizon this Spring. When the Droid gets 2.1 it will be on par with the N1 and will be available on the nation's largest, most reliable network.

Patience my friend...patience.

Last edited: