What's so good about rooting??!!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It's completely against all of their interest to allow a user to do whatever they want with a device that connects to and uses their services.

Rooting is popular because we "can" do it, and it gives us more ownership of our devices than how they are designed.

The root process can take some knowledge (adb and shell commands) to little knowledge (one click scripts from a pc) to zero knowledge (one-click app on the phone) and rooting again doesn't really change anything on the phone other than granting superuser permissions. You can still get OTA updates from Verizon/Motorola/Google, you can still have everything function just like it did without root.......though now you have the option to do more.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Yeah, well ill have to think about rooting then.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Cdjones187

Reaction score
They get paid for having the bloat in there.

They wouldn't make money on the phones unless they sold them above the price that they are off contract.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

Kinda wonder if they also collect information through these apps. Even though I've never ran any of the bloat, it will run on its own.

Rooted and deleted the bloat an hour ago btw! Also installed android overclock (used on my DX) and tweeked a few things in the build props, also works to underclock!

Another perk of rooting, overclocking and underclocking =] (cannot overclock yet though)

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Wait, what is overclocking and under clocking?? Lol

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'll find threads and info online that will explain it in more detail, but essentially overclocking is running your cpu at a higher frequency than "normal". For example, my droid 2 has a 1ghz processor, but I overclock it to 1.25 ghz for that extra boost of speed. Underclocking is just the opposite.

Obviously, there is more to it than this, but hopefully you get the general idea

CM74D2 (1250Mhz-v6 supercharged)

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Ohhh that seems cool

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root is easily explained as one of those things that is so awesome,once you "Root" you won't go back...lol. Access to the root gives super user access, which basically gives you your phone 100% of it..like your pc..you can pretty much get and change any file,or software...etc..you will be able to "undo" bloatware causing battery drain and space...but as its easier to just experience it than explain its abilities...I just say when you root, Droid really Does!!! Its the generic way to the gold card..:) usually only developers have the access to this...but now you can too..However cool it may be...if you plan to alter or flash or anything...be careful and if you don't know what your doing it can bite you in the arse...learn how to sbf..before anything, as its your best friend when you hit a tight spot...."to brick or not to brick, sbf is your savior!" ...lol Happy Rooting!....the drummer:)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

jjhiza

Reaction score
A lot of great answers here! Having root access (while not a necessity) will allow even the most casual Android user, to enjoy their device more. From wireless tethering, to backups (essential) and overclocking, having root is simply, a lot of fun. Whether you use ROMs and themes or not, root will (generally) make your Android experience much more rewarding and fun. Just research before hand, and make sure you understand the "process", and when it finally comes time for your phone to be rooted, read ALL the directions carefully, and take your time. Most of the issues with people bricking devices, end up being directly related to people not following directions prpoerly, and rushing through the steps. If you're do your homework, and follow instructions, you'll be very happy! :)