What's so good about rooting??!!

renegade809

Reaction score
Lol. If you are familiar with apple products. ie: Ipad, Ipod Touch, or Iphone, it's the same principal.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Oh, then I might have to consider rooting, if its as easy as jailbreaking then I could most definitely do it

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
root is awesome even if the only reason is removing the ridiculous amount of bloatware these phones carry now. It has many other benefits as well but to me that is the biggest.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
That bloatware is pointless... lol

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Rooting is just gaining root access to the system, in other words SuperUser permissions. It changes nothing else other than allowing anything to use superuser permissions. SuperUser.apk (the application) is used to prevent anything (other than the system itself) from using superuser permissions unless you allow them. Without the app, anything and everything could run with superuser permissions.

It does not grant access to free programs, it also does not allow for system backups (nandroids) though it is a step towards that goal (backups). For backups (nandroids) you need a recovery, root doesn't provide that, though it does make it possible once a recovery/bootstrap is compiled for the Droid 3.

It does allow you to use root applications though (Wireless tether for root users, Titanium Backup for root users, etc..) that provide more functionality than the stock OS allows.

Titanium Backup is enough reason in my opinion for root. If you ever need to "Factory Reset" your phone...or it's damaged and you replace it........titanium backup allows you to have made a backup of not only your apps, but the settings/configuration of those apps (game levels, license codes entered, etc...) so you can easily restore the data back along with the app. Definitely a plus..

Root can later bring about recoverys (for entire system backups and installing custom roms) and custom roms....

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
so basically rooting is making your phone do what you want it to with out any restrictions?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To an extent.

You still don't have full control because you have a locked signed bootloader.

Root (su) only comes into play in the OS. as tcrews said, recovery (the most important IMHO) is the real winner here.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
To a point. You have access, doesn't mean your access will change anything :)

Think of a computer. You have two users. One is a "user" and can login, browse the web, use applications installed on the computer. The other is the "Administrator" and can login, browse the web, use applications installed on the computer....but can also uninstall apps, install apps, delete data from the "user", delete system files (making the computer not work), format the drive and cause a whole lot of other problems. That's if they don't know what they are doing.

The good part though is that since they have access to the system, they can replace some of the software with better written, more featured or just different software. This is how some custom roms are created...they start editing some of the basic stuff, leaving most of the compiled pieces still intact (though removing what's considered bloat). You have to understand all the pieces that work together so you don't unintentionally break something by removing something it required to function.

So root is good in that it allows you "system access" so you can make backups and such (as a start..simple level). Root is bad in that it allows you "system access" so you could delete/remove apps or files that are required for the phone to function.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
So if you know what you're doing then you'll most likely encounter no problems during the root process, and later on when your phone is rooted.

Also, if rooting is so popular, then why don't the phone companies just make the phone when you first get it already have superuser permissions. In my opinion I would think that they would make a ton more money.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
But can you get cool themes and stuff like you can on a jailbroken device and why is backing up so important?

If you ever run into a bad flash, you'll know how important that backup is..lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's so good about rooting you ask? Well,...... EVERYTHING!! Your phone will explode in a rainbow of colors and you will enjoy the new found powers of levitation and invisibility. That's about it.... yeah.

You should totally do it. You'll never go back. I promise.

CM74D2 (1250Mhz-v6 supercharged)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They get paid for having the bloat in there.

They wouldn't make money on the phones unless they sold them above the price that they are off contract.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Oh so that's why all of that **** is there...