What's so good about rooting??!!

Allstarj765

Reaction score
I hear everyone talking and see everyone writing about rooting. But honestly I just don't know what's so good about it. On apple devices I would jailbreak all the time. But with rooting, I just don't know if I should do it. Is it hard? Is it worth it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

FernBch

Reaction score
First, although sorta similar, rooting and jailbreaking are not the same.

What rooting does do is give you access to all of your phone and opens up the possibility of doing more than.it can stock. You can make nandroid backups, change things you normally can't, remove unwanted "bloatware", and more.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
But can you get cool themes and stuff like you can on a jailbroken device and why is backing up so important?

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Whats limited time travel?

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Oh and by the way, im an android noob the droid 3 is my first powered android device usually im all apple

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just messing around a little

Being more serious, making a backup of the phone allows you to go back to that point, almost like a system restore on a computer. It saves all your phones info at the time of the backup, so say you mess something up during the root process you have backup in place to get you up and running again.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This question has been asked way too many times.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Rooting an android device is similar to "jailbreaking" an iPhone. I've actually heard that root on an android device gives you way more of an advantage than that of jailbreaking an iphone. It un-restricts the users ability to modify/customize the OS the way you want. You can remove un-wanted applications (bloat ware), and have custom roms (to an extent). If your happy with whatever phone you have now then don't bother rooting. As far as how easy it is, that depends on your phone. Most phones have 1 click applications for either your desktop or on the phone its self. Phones with unlocked bootloaders will be easiest.

Do more research, there are thousands of threads on root and what it is and why you would and would not want to root. Like I said, its not for everyone. If your happy with your phone the way it is then just leave it.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Is rooting hard though? And should I do it to my phone?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is rooting hard though? And should I do it to my phone?

rooting is not hard so long as you do your research beforehand. I would search "what is rooting" in the forum and read about it all and then decide if it's something you want to do. The droid3 was literally just rooted so I would definitely wait a bit and see what people have to say about the process.

OP
Allstarj765

Allstarj765

Reaction score
Yeah I know that the droid3 was just rooted, I already saw a video on youtube, and by the looks of it it seemed pretty darn easy.