What's Red and Blue, and Makes Android Users Happy? Sapphire and Ruby Double Release!

CruiseFL510

Reaction score
To get google search to install, I uninstalled it using Titanium Backup, rebooted, then was able to install if from the market.

That worked, but now my soft search key doesn't do anything. Also, from homescreen, when I open up the menu and touch "search", nothing happens. Soft search button works in other apps like browser and market, but not from home screen. It used to bring up the search screen that you get when you press the search app from the drawer.

Anybody having this problem?

Sapphire 1.1, Google Search 1.1.0.48668

wingdo

Reaction score

I'm running Sapphire 1.1 with the latest Google Search and Voice Search from the market and I am not having the issue. I know that doesn't help you out, but it's what I have.

short press on the soft key brings up google search, long press brings up voice search.

RevivaL

Reaction score
can anyone tell me why when I apply certain themes, next boot up launcherpro force closes and forces me to do a hard reset? I flashed incognito, then just flashed the default back, and then when I went home, I kept getting the fc, and just had to hard reset.

plaidman

Reaction score
To get google search to install, I uninstalled it using Titanium Backup, rebooted, then was able to install if from the market.

That worked, but now my soft search key doesn't do anything. Also, from homescreen, when I open up the menu and touch "search", nothing happens. Soft search button works in other apps like browser and market, but not from home screen. It used to bring up the search screen that you get when you press the search app from the drawer.

Good catch! I had to uninstall the built-in app to download the update as well, and I'm seeing the same issue. I was able to fix it, though, by copying the new app from /data/app to /system/app and renaming the .apk to the old filename:

/data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk

to

/system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

and it works for me. I've updated my instructions above for people comfortable with command line tools. Click here for the full instructions!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I just manged to get GMail 2.2.1 installed.

I used root explorer for all this but you can probably do it from the terminal if you're comfortable with it.

-Remove 2.2 (I used titanium for that)
-Copy the Gmail.apk (and make sure it's named exactly Gmail.apk) to /system/app
-Fix the permissions on it. I just granted all perms to everything. Probably overkill but whatever.
-Reboot

This worked for me.

EDIT: Ok, perms are read for all 3, and write for user. That's what all the other APK's have. This works.

flyinion

Reaction score
So I just noticed something odd when I went into ROM Manager to make a backup of my shiny new base 1.1 install after setting everything up. Somehow installing Sapphire 1.1 through ROM Manager blew out CW Recovery? I had to re-flash CW recovery before ROM Manager would let me do anything. Anyone else have this happen?

Anyone seen this happen or am I unique?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So I just noticed something odd when I went into ROM Manager to make a backup of my shiny new base 1.1 install after setting everything up. Somehow installing Sapphire 1.1 through ROM Manager blew out CW Recovery? I had to re-flash CW recovery before ROM Manager would let me do anything. Anyone else have this happen?

Anyone seen this happen or am I unique?

I did not see that issue. I installed from Rom Manager and had no problems at all. I'm able to reboot into recovery and I never reinstalled it.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@sniffle

Would it be possible to get the first post updated with the couple of issues that have been found and the solutions? Specifically I'm referring to the Google Search and GMail update issues. I think it would help people that may be having the same problem.

RevivaL

Reaction score
all I did for gmail was put the apk in dropbox and then open it from my phone, worked fine.

OP
S

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
@sniffle

Would it be possible to get the first post updated with the couple of issues that have been found and the solutions? Specifically I'm referring to the Google Search and GMail update issues. I think it would help people that may be having the same problem.

get everything together in a post and i will put it on the first or second post, sorry i'm at work or i would do it myself.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
all I did for gmail was put the apk in dropbox and then open it from my phone, worked fine.

I tried that, even after uninstalling the existing version, and it didn't work for me. I had to manually move the apk from my dropbox folder to /system/app and rename it to Gmail.apk. Then it worked.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@sniffle

get everything together in a post and i will put it on the first or second post, sorry i'm at work or i would do it myself.

Ok, give me a bit. I'll see if I can make a post that's easy to follow.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
[Problems and Solutions]

[1] GMail force close
Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, All and find GMail in the list. Open this up and select Clear Data. Wait for GMail to resync.

[2] GMail 2.2.1 APK won't install
su
sysrw
rm /system/app/GMail.apk
cp Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk /system/app/GMail.apk
sysro
reboot (as plaidman says, just to be safe)
(Note: You may want to see problem [1] and follow that after the reboot just to be safe)

[3] Google Search not updating in the market
(Stealing plaidman's AWESOME post on this one. Thanks!!!)
I answered my own question: GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

So after you do a fresh Sapphire install, if you want the updated Google Search Widget, you can do the following commands on your favorite command line tool (I like ConnectBot). Mind you, these instructions might be a hell of a lot easier with something like RootExplorer, but I'm a cheap ass and I'm comfortable with *nix command lines. Skip this first part if you uninstalled with TitaniumBackup.

su
sysrw
rm /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (dunno if you really need this, but just to be safe)

When the phone comes back, download the new Google Search in the marketplace. Now, unfortunately, the search button will be broken because it's still looking for the old /system/app application, but the new one was installed to /data/app. So we need to open our favorite command line tool again and move the .apk file.

su
sysrw
cp /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro
reboot (again, not sure you need to do this, but it's safe)

And now your search button will work as it used to. Happy searching!

*NOTE: As plaidman points out, and as I did on my own Droid, using Root Explorer makes all this much easier. So stop being cheap and buy it! :p Just kidding. But if you do have this great tool you can skip all the cmd line stuff and use that instead.

CruiseFL510

Reaction score
Good catch! I had to uninstall the built-in app to download the update as well, and I'm seeing the same issue. I was able to fix it, though, by copying the new app from /data/app to /system/app and renaming the .apk to the old filename:

/data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk

to

/system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

and it works for me. I've updated my instructions above for people comfortable with command line tools. Click here for the full instructions!

Thanks! Will give it a try.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@plaidman I hope you don't mind me lifting your post but it was easy to follow and I didn't want to rewrite those instructions. :) Also, just an FYI, I did have to reboot after copying the APK to /system/app in order to fix the search button. Just thought you'd like to know that the reboot is not only safe, but, seemingly required. :) Thanks for your awesome post!