What's next for us?

shanook

Reaction score
So the droid 4 has been out for a while now, while it still outperforms a lot of phone's, I'm looking to move on to the next thing.

While I refuse to buy an all touch screen phone, I think it's safe to say that we all bought this phone because of it's functionality and keyboard.

When can we expect the next smartphone with a keyboard to come out? I'm really sick of motorola and I'm hoping samsung will make one. I won't keep my hopes up though.

Have any of you guys heard of anything?

Big D

Reaction score
My guess is that the physical keyboard is done. The more time that goes by without hearing about a successor, the less likely there will be one.

The hard fact is that manufacturers are looking to hit the big demographic and we just aren't that. It's a shame cause I hate the idea of getting a non-physical KB phone. But it's gonna be unavoidable, I'm afraid.

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
My guess is that the physical keyboard is done. The more time that goes by without hearing about a successor, the less likely there will be one.

The hard fact is that manufacturers are looking to hit the big demographic and we just aren't that. It's a shame cause I hate the idea of getting a non-physical KB phone. But it's gonna be unavoidable, I'm afraid.

I feel like ima have to go and spam major company's with request for a physical keyboard phone. I don't want to have this phone forever, I already feel like a dinosaur. I feel like if I get an all touch screen phone ima have to get a bluetooth pocket sized keyboard or something.

GigaJake

Reaction score
The LG slider looks inferior to the D4 already...

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
http://google.com/producer/s/CBIwjbO70QE not much choice these days

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Damn that lg slider looks like absolute garbage. It's a downgrade in every single way.

It's absolutely a shame that they make phones that don't fit in your pocket and are inconvenient, but they won't make a qwerty style phone for its functionality. Especially in it's landscape mode.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
New (Upgrade) Physical High End Phone Needed to Replace Aging Droid 3 & Droid 4 Phone

Damn that lg slider looks like absolute garbage. It's a downgrade in every single way.

It's absolutely a shame that they make phones that don't fit in your pocket and are inconvenient, but they won't make a qwerty style phone for its functionality. Especially in it's landscape mode.

I agree wholeheartedly! I really like some of the new features coming out on the new Samsung SG4 and the Note3, but, but, but, why can't they have a physical keyboard??? I'm still limping along on a 2-year old Droid 3 (so I won't lose my unlimited data plan) and was really hoping that Motorola was going to update the Droid 4 soon. Has anyone heard any rumors at all? I have a feeling there's a lot of current Droid 3 and 4 users out there that really could use a new phone like me. There may be a bigger audience for this device than they think!

NOVICE

Reaction score
If the Note 3 had a physical keyboard that would be one big ass phone.

Big D

Reaction score
The most telling thing to me on why I think the physical KB is done is that they're just not building it. There's no talk, no rumor, no leaks not an iota of speculation about the D5 from a credible source (or not credible source). It's been a year or more, no?

The time has been ripe for a while now. The D4 is LOOOOONG in the tooth. I'm surprised that they even still offer it. And while I don't think it's a full-on dinosaur, it's a long way from current.

It'll suck and I think it'll be a step back, but I'm preparing to move on without my KB. Or pee myself out of happiness if they build a D5. But something tells me if they haven't started by now, it's not in the plans.

kwyrt

Reaction score
D5 will be announced March 2014. How do I know you ask? Because I am due for an upgrade in February of 2014. So as soon as I buy a stinking non-qwerty phone, I am quite certain they will announce the D5.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
D5 Coming Sooner Than You Think????

D5 will be announced March 2014. How do I know you ask? Because I am due for an upgrade in February of 2014. So as soon as I buy a stinking non-qwerty phone, I am quite certain they will announce the D5.

Well, my contract date has just past by, so following your logic the D5 should probably come out much sooner. Since probably my D3 won't last much longer, the Note 3 will come out (I think it's due early September) and maybe convince me that with the bigger virtual keypad I'll finally be able to accurately type on it! Then I'll probably reluctantly get it, AND THEN the D5 will come out!

kwyrt

Reaction score
Well, my contract date has just past by, so following your logic the D5 should probably come out much sooner. Since probably my D3 won't last much longer, the Note 3 will come out (I think it's due early September) and maybe convince me that with the bigger virtual keypad I'll finally be able to accurately type on it! Then I'll probably reluctantly get it, AND THEN the D5 will come out!

Looks like I may have to eat my words. There is hope!
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/23/did-the-motorola-droid-5-just-make-its-first-appearance/
Thanks to duffman on XDA for the heads up.

Droid 4 - Avatar

OP
S

shanook

Reaction score
Looks like I may have to eat my words. There is hope!
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/23/did-the-motorola-droid-5-just-make-its-first-appearance/
Thanks to duffman on XDA for the heads up.

Droid 4 - Avatar
Hmmm maybe I started this thread at the right time, it doesn't look too shabby, but there isn't much info on it yet. Hopefully they keep at it,

I had to pay full price for this droid 4 because I wanted to keep my unlimited data, I've definitely broke even by now or have saved money from this decision. Its almost been 2 years now