What's next after Bionic from Big Red?

senordeuce

Reaction score
So I'm still rocking the OG Droid, and though it has served me well, my eye is wandering to the new and improved. The Bionic looks good, but I don't like the idea of locking myself into a phone with only 512 ram when the standard seems to be changing to a gig. So what's next?

The HTC Pyramid looks like an incredible phone, but I believe it's coming to T-Mo. The Targa leak looked pretty amazing, but then the rumored release date is Q4. Is there anything coming up the pipe late summer from Verizon? At least a gig of ram, dual core, big screen, LTE. Pretty much the Atrix that AT&T has had for months plus actual 4G. Anyone read or know anything that I don't?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Yeah D3, Targa, and Bionic are probably the most hyped phones on these forums. D3 won't be LTE though. Not sure if any of the phones coming out this year will hit all of your wanted specifications, unfortunately.

Samsung Galaxy S2 may hit most of your specifications and should be coming to VZW eventually. I hate to recommend a Samsung phone with their track record (at least in the US), but it looks to be a nice piece of hardware. Unless they gimp the VZW version that is.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Like everything else about the Bionic except the paltry 512 ram (which will probably be fine for, oh, only about 6 months).

Seems there's a chance one or more of the DX2, D3 and DInc2 will be LTE. So that's where I'm leaning now, but I may not be able to hold out longer than May and go with the Bionic.

On top of all that, HMDI out is something I can see myself using a lot (but maybe not!). Seems like every phone lately leaves out one key feature in order to stay in that magic price range. Maybe with the TBolt and supposedly the Charge they are testing higher prices and we'll see a phone with everything we want soon.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the D3 will not have a skin on it, so it will be blurless if the rumors hold true + a PK.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I wonder if no blur means it will be unlocked like the D1.

Exayex

Reaction score
You guys do realize its DDR2 ram, which is essentially as good as 1 gig of DDR ram. The Bionics 512 DDR2 will actually be better than the Thunderbolt's 7XX amount of ram. Calm down everyone. The 1 gig of DDR2 on the Atrix is only there to power the webtop OS and the phone's OS. You will probably never need more than 512 DDR2, at least not in the 1 to 2 years you have the phone.

I was playing WoW with 1 gig of ram and it was okay. Ask yourself why you'd need 1 gig of DDR2 ram on a cellphone. Remember you're still limited by software and interface...
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You guys do realize its DDR2 ram, which is essentially as good as 1 gig of DDR ram.

1gig >>> 512, I don't care how much faster DDR2 is 512 is still only 512 and as apps and the OS become more memory hogging that 512 is going to be an issue. For gamers who need speed more DDR2 is probably better, but for power users running a lot of apps and widgets (which aren't as demanding of speed) 1gig is going to be better.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The speed of the RAM, while nice to have 'faster', isn't my big worry. As mentioned, having only 512mb when 1gb is an option seems risky. After seeing first hand how limiting storage space can be with my D1 and it's 256mb I don't want to lock myself in with a device for 2 yrs that has less than 1gb.

That's not to say the 512mb in the Bionic won't fly... I'm just cautious about storage. I can't say I'd even fill the whole 512mb... but I'd like to have more than I need, rather than just enough :)

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
iphone 5 should be out this summer..... :)

ill definatly be getting one i already have a D1 and an iphone4 on verizon i plan to put the droid to sleep for good when the 5 comes out.

matt2783

Reaction score
Why wont all phones being released be lte? doesnt that seem kind of silly releasing outdated phones?

I think VZW wants to give customers who don't live in 4g areas a cheaper alternative. Given the TB is $250 and the Samsung charge/stealth is rumored to be $300, I think there will be a pretty big market for non LTE smartphones.

chudilo

Reaction score
Why wont all phones being released be lte? doesnt that seem kind of silly releasing outdated phones?

Because most of us need the phone to be able to go at least a day on standby, but somehow manufacturers consider that to be an outdated requirement. I for one am sick of living with a wired smart-phone. I still want to use it to make phone calls once in a while without having to charge it for hours before and after :)
I have the original droid (with original battery , yes i know it's a bout time to replace it, but it should last longer then the it ever did)

yiannis

Reaction score
If true, it will be disappointing that VZW won't release an Atrix clone phone in the next few months.

RX8Rocks

Reaction score
I'm overdue for a smartphone(see what phone I have? (ashamed)), and loving the Bionic so far. I don't do crapple: ipads, ipods, ispuds, iduds, etc....

Android ftw! :blackdroid: