What's in 2.1 - Findings, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentbob343

Reaction score
i did the manual update,, landscape on the homepage does not work unless the keys are out.. and that back button thing does not work either.. if im on the browser and hit home button, then back button, nothing happens.
same here, I don't think it matters if it as OTA or manual though.

BigTex71

Reaction score
Those of you who cannot go back to an app after hitting the hard HOME button, are you using the stock Home page?

BigTex71

Reaction score
Those of you who cannot go back to an app after hitting the hard HOME button, are you using the stock Home page?
Yup, stock as a box or rocks. Tried several apps and hard back does nothing.

I was mistaken. It will go back from the Multimedia Home or the Car Dock Home after hitting the hard HOME button, but not the standard Home. :redface: I usually use it in the Multimedia Dock or Car Dock.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's get back on topic guys. This is why I almost didn't allow this thread to get started. Lets talk about findings, tips, and tricks. Thank you in advance.

TescoDroid

Reaction score
Makes no sense that Google hasn't provided this yet.

I agree, I'm no software developer but this has to be an easy feature to implement if almost every other phone (including my old paperweight RAZR) has it. It's simply convienent if say I have my phone in my pocket or it's at my desk and I'm not there, to simply press the ear piece and say, "Call Nicki." But yes, I also agree the Voice Search is an awesome feature too.

Actually, FWIW, it's not at all easy (or likely even possible) using the Google method. Android uses the Google server to do speech recognition rather than something running in the phone. These algorithms require more audio bandwith than is available in the Bluetooth handsfree profile standard. To do simple, limited name/command matching you can skimp on the audio bandwidth, but to do full-up language recognition the lows and highs are very important parts of the pattern recognizing algorithm.

At least, that's what I suspect. I have run into this very same issue in other speech recognition applications I've worked on (not Google based)and bluetooth was never an option because of this issue.

Sorry for being slightly off topic.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give TescoDroid a break because he is new, but please get this thread back on topic. I don't want to have issue infractions, but from this point on if you do post off topic I will issue an infraction. I don't want to do this, nor do I wish to close the thread so your cooperation will be appreciated.

TBV

Reaction score
I don't want to have issue infractions,...

Wow...:icon_eek: Sorry Mon Capiton, didn't realize that having a discussion about a function I wanted to see in the 2.1 update would ruin my good-standing in the forum.

My bad. :frown:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Posted elsewhere in a closed thread:

Yeah we know that but I'm not wired that way, so I strongly disagree. I like the period where it is and I know where the comma has been moved to. In addition the period is used much more often then a comma so it makes sense to have it on the front screen.

Try Menu->Settings->Language & Keyboard->Android Keyboard, from here you can toggle Voice Input. I don't have the 'official' 2.1, but I think I have the 2.1 keyboard (too many updates and such and it's one thing I didn't track).

Wanted to quote this as it does work. If you don't want to use the microphone on the keyboard, do the above and it will put the comma back in place(I really missed the comma, I'm a writing major who <3's commas).

Also, has anyone noticed that the voice thing doesn't actually work very well? I've been told I have a very good voice for radio(no slang/draw/accent) and it still messes up a ton unless I slow down a great deal in speed.

JCo352

Reaction score
Try Menu->Settings->Language & Keyboard->Android Keyboard, from here you can toggle Voice Input. I don't have the 'official' 2.1, but I think I have the 2.1 keyboard (too many updates and such and it's one thing I didn't track).

Wanted to quote this as it does work. If you don't want to use the microphone on the keyboard, do the above and it will put the comma back in place(I really missed the comma, I'm a writing major who <3's commas).

Also, has anyone noticed that the voice thing doesn't actually work very well? I've been told I have a very good voice for radio(no slang/draw/accent) and it still messes up a ton unless I slow down a great deal in speed.

I actually think it works great. It hasn't messed up a word yet.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want to have issue infractions,...

Wow...:icon_eek: Sorry Mon Capiton, didn't realize that having a discussion about a function I wanted to see in the 2.1 update would ruin my good-standing in the forum.

My bad. :frown:
It might be a good idea to tip toe lightly on DF for a bit.

will.anaya

Reaction score
Also, the weather used to not work on the Multimedia Home page a lot (it would show '--'). Now it is always working and updating to my current location all the time.

i still dont have that on my droid. i remember when it first came out the weather was there.

do i have to have a particular app for that to work?

mantis5

Reaction score

I am going to guess you have a deep voice. I have the same issue. I think that due to some limitation - microphone, probably - the voice-to-text engine works best within a certain frequency range. Do you find it misinterprets consonants primarily?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well hello there fellas...........

I am going to ask everyone to keep it nice and respectful here. I don't have much to say on 2.1 but its ok. I am on it....

If everyone can't play nice. I will close this thread and start over.......have a nice night

Status
Not open for further replies.