What's in 2.1 - Findings, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTex71

Reaction score
A few things I noticed so far:

On the Multimedia Home page, they swapped the HOME button with the light control button. MUCH better! Sometimes I would have to tap 2, 3, 4 times to get the HOME button to work. Now it is bigger and in the lower right corner and works first time every time.

I used to have my Car Home screen not cut off when pulling from the car dock, then fore close quite often. Now it quickly closes when removed from the car dock.

Also, the weather used to not work on the Multimedia Home page a lot (it would show '--'). Now it is always working and updating to my current location all the time.

Before, if I was on a different app, then hit the HOME hard button, I could not go back to the app with the hard BACK button. It was like the HOME page was the 'lowest' level. With the update, I can now go BACK to the page before I hit the HOME button.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A few things I noticed so far:

...Before, if I was on a different app, then hit the HOME hard button, I could not go back to the app with the hard BACK button. It was like the HOME page was the 'lowest' level. With the update, I can now go BACK to the page before I hit the HOME button.

OMG! Can't believe I haven't seen this mentioned before. This will give me a significant portion of my life back.

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I'm still on 2.0.1, can anyone tell me that if you are making a call while the Droid is in the car dock, is everything still in portrait mode sideways?

DogPaw

Reaction score
Any Email Updates

I was hoping they would add "move to folders" on the outlook email. I have missed being able to move my email on the road since I switched from a windows phone.

The other feature I was looking for is a delete all button in the trash of "POP" mail. I hate having to go through and select 75 times just to clean out my trash.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I didnt wait anymore and did the manual install. I take it that Google Earth has to be reinstalled.
Correct?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Posted elsewhere in a closed thread:

Home screen now works in landscape mode. Before the update the home screen would only work in landscape mode when in the car dock.

Also, voice search will bring up results from Contacts first, then Google results. This was not working before.

One thing i just noticed on the virtual keyboard; the comma has been moved to the numbers screen to make room for the mic. It would make more sense to move the period. Most everybody i know hits the space bar twice to enter a period unless using it as a decimal point.

Yeah we know that but I'm not wired that way, so I strongly disagree. I like the period where it is and I know where the comma has been moved to. In addition the period is used much more often then a comma so it makes sense to have it on the front screen.

Yeah the comma move doesn't bother me much as the only time I use it is when I'm in my "perfect grammar" mode, in which case I type with the hardware keyboard so it isn't an issue but I see your point. Might have made more sense for them to take out the period as well and adjust the length of the spacebar or something.

I saw the extra two small apps as well but I saw no reason to remove them.

ljprevo

Reaction score
I notice that the "send email as" has not been fixed. :(

My way around this is I sent a blank email to my "send as" address, then if I need to email from that address I goto that blank email and reply to it and change the sender and subject.

Here is what I do now, just wish it was fixed in 2.1

Send a blank email TO your forward address. I have [email protected] that forwards to my gmail address. I saved that blank email in a folder by itself. When I have to send from that email I reply to THAT blank email, change the send to and subject. That way I can send an email from my send as email when needed.

(My college has a policy that professors are only allowed to open attachments sent from our college email address, dumb I know.)

I know I could set up the external email client. :)

dadamsx

Reaction score
When a home screen shortcut to a contact is selected it now opens the "chat" style bubble on the main home screen, very nice! slightly buggy if using helix (top portion gets cut off)

Just tried this, very cool.

armeddroid

Reaction score
The browser seems more fluid. I did notice the new NEWS AND WEATHER widget which i very convenient. Live Wallpapers seem to get better the more you use it. Google Earth seems more fluid. I notice that the text to speech tool replaced the comma.

J. Dub

Reaction score
I have noticed the the notification bar works a little differently. When I am updating more than one app at a time the "Downloading (Apps)" is just one one "line" in Notifications the downloading apps seperated by commas. As each one is downloaded they drop one at a time lower down on seperate "lines". Maybe it was that way before, but I certainly thought there was a seperate "downloading line" for each app,

Also I seem to have 2 extra very small (8k,16k) "downloaded apps" in "Menu>Applications>Manange Applications" that are weird. (and yes it is filtered for "downloaded apps" only)

One seems to reference the Gallery app, but I know I uninstalled the 2.1 Gallery BEFORE I did the 2.1 update. The app name is "com.android.gallery" size is only 8.00kb, "Version 0" and does have an uninstall button (yes, it's highlighted)

The other one right below it is "com.android.inputmethod.latin.." size is only 16.00kb (12 app/4 data) and it is also "Version 0", and also has an uninstall button.

Anyone else have this??

5630d1270160151-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-apps.png

5631d1270160158-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-app-gallery.png
5632d1270160164-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-app-input.png

Yes i did have this..but i got rid of it...but i first used 'MyBackUp Pro' backed up all my stuff like sms mms etc. and then i did the hard factory reset and erased cache and others....and when i reloaded everything back up...those 2 items like you showed above were gone...idk what that did/was but my phone works well

Those apps that are only a few kb are usually just leftovers from an uninstall. You can just uninstall them and you'll be fine.

Those apps that are only a few kb are usually just leftovers from an uninstall. You can just uninstall them and you'll be fine.

That was my suspicion also, uninstalled them and so far so good.

Thanks!

So we're all in agreement that these serve no purpose and I can uninstall them?:icon_eek:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
UPDATE!!

Those apps didn't show back up when I ran the update again.. still no Google Earth in Market now (had already installed GE sucessfully after update and uninstalled) and as I said get FC and black "hung up" Browser screen when going directly to m.google.com/earth (as spec'd on Google Earth page).

Need to find direct download link for Google Earth app to test 3rd party install...

I have noticed the the notification bar works a little differently. When I am updating more than one app at a time the "Downloading (Apps)" is just one one "line" in Notifications the downloading apps seperated by commas. As each one is downloaded they drop one at a time lower down on seperate "lines". Maybe it was that way before, but I certainly thought there was a seperate "downloading line" for each app,

Also I seem to have 2 extra very small (8k,16k) "downloaded apps" in "Menu>Applications>Manange Applications" that are weird. (and yes it is filtered for "downloaded apps" only)

One seems to reference the Gallery app, but I know I uninstalled the 2.1 Gallery BEFORE I did the 2.1 update. The app name is "com.android.gallery" size is only 8.00kb, "Version 0" and does have an uninstall button (yes, it's highlighted)

The other one right below it is "com.android.inputmethod.latin.." size is only 16.00kb (12 app/4 data) and it is also "Version 0", and also has an uninstall button.

Anyone else have this??

5630d1270160151-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-apps.png

5631d1270160158-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-app-gallery.png
5632d1270160164-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-app-input.png

Yes i did have this..but i got rid of it...but i first used 'MyBackUp Pro' backed up all my stuff like sms mms etc. and then i did the hard factory reset and erased cache and others....and when i reloaded everything back up...those 2 items like you showed above were gone...idk what that did/was but my phone works well

That was my suspicion also, uninstalled them and so far so good.

Thanks!

So we're all in agreement that these serve no purpose and I can uninstall them?:icon_eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.