What's in 2.1 - Findings, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jismail

Reaction score
I have looked around and have not yet found a comprehensive listing of the items fixed or added to the 2.1 release other than the small list posted on the site so I thought we should start one.

If you find something that has changed from 2.01 to 2.1 - big or small - list it here so we can keep us all up to date with discoveries made by our forum participants!

cyclops

Reaction score
Goggles is built in
Support for Google Earth -- huge download though
Voice input by default on soft keyboard -- took the place of the "," key
Seems faster:)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I decided to reopen this thread based on a PM I got from the OP. I am opening it however with conditions.

It has to stay on topic. If we start getting a lot of off topic comments I will close the thread again. Post your findings only. No talk about whether it's real or gripping about 3 screens. We've seen that already.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I have noticed the the notification bar works a little differently. When I am updating more than one app at a time the "Downloading (Apps)" is just one one "line" in Notifications the downloading apps seperated by commas. As each one is downloaded they drop one at a time lower down on seperate "lines". Maybe it was that way before, but I certainly thought there was a seperate "downloading line" for each app,

Also I seem to have 2 extra very small (8k,16k) "downloaded apps" in "Menu>Applications>Manange Applications" that are weird. (and yes it is filtered for "downloaded apps" only)

One seems to reference the Gallery app, but I know I uninstalled the 2.1 Gallery BEFORE I did the 2.1 update. The app name is "com.android.gallery" size is only 8.00kb, "Version 0" and does have an uninstall button (yes, it's highlighted)

The other one right below it is "com.android.inputmethod.latin.." size is only 16.00kb (12 app/4 data) and it is also "Version 0", and also has an uninstall button.

Anyone else have this??

5630d1270160151-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-apps.png

5631d1270160158-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-app-gallery.png
5632d1270160164-whats-2-1-findings-tips-tricks-2.1-extra-app-input.png

Attachments

• 2.1 extra apps.png
    2.1 extra apps.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 2.1 extra app Gallery.png
    2.1 extra app Gallery.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,041
  • 2.1 extra app Input.png
    2.1 extra app Input.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,031

dadamsx

Reaction score
! Just found another....

in 2.0.1 the text character counter would only show up in Portrait mode texting

now in landscape the character counter is also present, used to when I used this I would never get the counter and thus send chopped up texts to friends....

(rant)
Verizon and their multi text limitations to other carriers :icon_evil:(otherwise this bug fix wouldn't be important..lol)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Another thing people have found is that the led will only go on when you get a notification while the phone is turned off (not powered off). If you are actively using the phone the light will not come on.

solorca

Reaction score
I don't have the official 2.1, but have any of you noticed improved call quality? That's the only reason I've considered unrooting to take the official update.

Sal

Reaction score
Other than just yahoo mail specifically (which is still buggy, apparently, with some still reporting multiple sent messages and no notifications), are people finding any new improvements/problems with stock email app now?

ShowTime

Reaction score
! Just found another....

in 2.0.1 the text character counter would only show up in Portrait mode texting

now in landscape the character counter is also present, used to when I used this I would never get the counter and thus send chopped up texts to friends....

(rant)
Verizon and their multi text limitations to other carriers :icon_evil:(otherwise this bug fix wouldn't be important..lol)

I'm still on 2.0.1 waiting for my update, and I get the character counter in both portrait and landscape. It doesn't show up until you're about 10 characters away from the 160 limit, but it is definitely there.

edit: Ah, unless you're talking about typing in landscape with the virtual keyboard and not the hard keyboard. Just tested that and you are right, there is currently no character count in that view. But I only occasionally use that one, if ever.

Chilazr

Reaction score
Headset bug has been corrected, vkb seems more responsive.

What was the headset bug? I have a bluetooth headset that would have static blaring in my ear for the first few seconds of call connection. I always thought it was the headset's fault, but is it the Droid's?

Status
Not open for further replies.