What's in 2.1 - Findings, Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jismail, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jismail

jismail New Member

I have looked around and have not yet found a comprehensive listing of the items fixed or added to the 2.1 release other than the small list posted on the site so I thought we should start one.

If you find something that has changed from 2.01 to 2.1 - big or small - list it here so we can keep us all up to date with discoveries made by our forum participants!
  2. Fail Tactics

Fail Tactics New Member

Official live wallpaper support.
  3. cyclops

cyclops New Member

Goggles is built in
    Support for Google Earth -- huge download though
    Voice input by default on soft keyboard -- took the place of the "," key
    Seems faster:)
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I decided to reopen this thread based on a PM I got from the OP. I am opening it however with conditions.

It has to stay on topic. If we start getting a lot of off topic comments I will close the thread again. Post your findings only. No talk about whether it's real or gripping about 3 screens. We've seen that already.
  6. homemadehitshow

homemadehitshow New Member

Picasa web albums displaying in the Gallery
  7. dadamsx

dadamsx New Member

Enhanced Music Application
  8. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I have noticed the the notification bar works a little differently. When I am updating more than one app at a time the "Downloading (Apps)" is just one one "line" in Notifications the downloading apps seperated by commas. As each one is downloaded they drop one at a time lower down on seperate "lines". Maybe it was that way before, but I certainly thought there was a seperate "downloading line" for each app,

Also I seem to have 2 extra very small (8k,16k) "downloaded apps" in "Menu>Applications>Manange Applications" that are weird. (and yes it is filtered for "downloaded apps" only)

One seems to reference the Gallery app, but I know I uninstalled the 2.1 Gallery BEFORE I did the 2.1 update. The app name is "com.android.gallery" size is only 8.00kb, "Version 0" and does have an uninstall button (yes, it's highlighted)

The other one right below it is "com.android.inputmethod.latin.." size is only 16.00kb (12 app/4 data) and it is also "Version 0", and also has an uninstall button.

Anyone else have this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. dadamsx

dadamsx New Member

! Just found another....

in 2.0.1 the text character counter would only show up in Portrait mode texting

now in landscape the character counter is also present, used to when I used this I would never get the counter and thus send chopped up texts to friends....

(rant)
    Verizon and their multi text limitations to other carriers :icon_evil:(otherwise this bug fix wouldn't be important..lol)
  10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Another thing people have found is that the led will only go on when you get a notification while the phone is turned off (not powered off). If you are actively using the phone the light will not come on.
  11. solorca

solorca New Member

I don't have the official 2.1, but have any of you noticed improved call quality? That's the only reason I've considered unrooting to take the official update.
  12. Sal

Sal New Member

Other than just yahoo mail specifically (which is still buggy, apparently, with some still reporting multiple sent messages and no notifications), are people finding any new improvements/problems with stock email app now?
  13. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

I'm still on 2.0.1 waiting for my update, and I get the character counter in both portrait and landscape. It doesn't show up until you're about 10 characters away from the 160 limit, but it is definitely there.

edit: Ah, unless you're talking about typing in landscape with the virtual keyboard and not the hard keyboard. Just tested that and you are right, there is currently no character count in that view. But I only occasionally use that one, if ever.
  14. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Headset bug has been corrected, vkb seems more responsive.
  15. Chilazr

Chilazr New Member

What was the headset bug? I have a bluetooth headset that would have static blaring in my ear for the first few seconds of call connection. I always thought it was the headset's fault, but is it the Droid's?
  16. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You can get just the Baseband update, look in the Hack section....or just use this link to go to the thread..

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/33703-major-baseband-news-alldroid.html

It's an update.zip file to use with sprecovery so you would have to be rooted and have sprecovery installed. Updates the Baseband, you'll need to re-activate your phone which takes less than 1 minute. Will not affect your Rom image, data, applications, settings, etc....it just updates the Baseband.
  17. thebourbonnflip

thebourbonnflip New Member

Yes i did have this..but i got rid of it...but i first used 'MyBackUp Pro' backed up all my stuff like sms mms etc. and then i did the hard factory reset and erased cache and others....and when i reloaded everything back up...those 2 items like you showed above were gone...idk what that did/was but my phone works well
  18. kendroid09

kendroid09 New Member

contacts open in last folder viewed

contacts now open to the last list you were viewing, ie. favorites, contacts or call log. It used to always open to contacts and then you had to switch from there....
  19. clark grizwald

clark grizwald New Member

i also have those com.android apps. i think one has to do with swype or touch since it says something about input method
  20. Cowpoke

Cowpoke New Member

I may just be dreaming, but IMO the browser seems to scroll much smother now. Maybe its always been this smooth and I didnt notice because I've been on Dolphin a while, but it seems smoother than stock used to be or Dolphin is now. This site has always scrolled really laggy for me, but now scrolls just fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tips and tricks for android 2.1