What's going on with my Charge?!

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Carrera, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I bought my Droid Charge the day it was released. My problem(s) started the next day when I started downloading apps. It started running slower and as more apps were downloaded the greater the lag time. I asked in Droid Forums about it and the advice was to move all apps from the SD card to the phone which, I did, but there was no noticeable difference. Eventually, I moved them back to the SD card as I was running into low memory warnings. At the same time I also asked if there was a limit to the amount of apps you could download as long as I still had memory (RAM). I have over 240 apps on the phone and really like the way the phone is set up now except that it runs horribly. Trying to execute a simple phone call can be the hardest thing on the PHONE. I am always killing apps but of course they won't stay off. I have a number of widgets to help me evaluate/control what is going on and simply there are too many apps running in the background and the processor is near full boot unless I use an app to help me get some processes reduced. This obviously, is not the way it should work. So, I have at least a couple of questions.

1) Can someone actually tell from my description what is happening? Remember this started as soon as I started downloading apps and got progressively worse. And then how do I correct it. I truly hope someone does.

2) If I root the phone can I shut off apps that start up with the phone - much like going into system configuration in Windows and unticking programs in the Start Up Menu? I realize there are many other benefits to rooting one's phone but I wanted to get it set up and running right before I did. But now I am thinking if I can shut off apps from starting up automatically that may be my only way of freeing up more memory (I have about 50 MB free most of the time) and also reduce the load on the processor (Unless, someone has an answer to question number 1 which, would then resolve the problem.). After that, and the phone is running good I would then feel free to root the phone and enjoy the benefits from doing so.

I forgot to mention that the phone freezes now quite a bit as well as frequent crashes and random reboots. As well as the battery heating up at times from trying to execute something but can't so is simply being overworked from trying to do so.

Thanks, for any help.

P.S. I am running Go Launcher but have the stock TW launcher as well as Launcher Pro.
  2. D3PHAULTID

D3PHAULTID New Member

I can only attest to your problems with stock. Stop using task killers now. The apps that are using memory will continue to use this memory as they are designed to do. When you kill them you are stopping them only temporarily and forcing them to redouble their efforts to recover causing them to use more memory. If you want to keep the app let it run the way its designed to.
    Get rid of your Widgets. Lets think about it. Through your Widgets you are allowing multiple processes to run constantly and every time you shift pages on your desktop those processes are redrawing from your memory. Along the same lines, put your desktop apps into folders. They let you run your desktop without constantly animating each individual icon.
    Make a shortcut: settings>manage applications >running services this proves a replacement to any task managers and runs native to your is without taking more memory or ram. Look at your apps, identify your ram hogs and uninstall/check the app settings to reduce synq frequency ie Facebook synqing your contacts and their status will constantly drain your ram.
    It pains me to say it but replace go launcher. It is such a great UI and I love it but if you look under your running services it is another hog. I made the switch to adw, sacrificed the hour to rebuild my desktop but my system runs so much snappier.
    Although I have not rooted my charge (I want to, but this is my only phone and don't want to risk it) rooting your charge and flashing it with a from with voodoo lagfix will give your phone new life. It rewrites all your system files into a format that is much easier for your os to access.
    Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
    1 person likes this.
  3. D3PHAULTID

D3PHAULTID New Member

http://www.toms-world.org/android/
    Check this out and weigh your options. All my research has pointed to the charge being one of the best phones to root. Like I said I really want to but won't risk it

4. grantfer

grantfer New Member

I use Go Launcher but even the stock TW is snappier. It just doesn't have the features.
  5. D3PHAULTID

D3PHAULTID New Member

Adw will give you those features minus all the extra apps like go SMS,go Widgets, etc and runs much smoother.

6. grantfer

grantfer New Member

Thx i'll check it out.
  7. da2zoe

da2zoe DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice post D3...especially the explanation about task killers...+1
  8. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

root your phone already, running liquid on mytbolt on startup i have over 300mb free.

i think p3 droid has released some stuff for the charge. go for it. not like you're "risking" anything unless you're too slow to follow instructions.
  9. D3PHAULTID

D3PHAULTID New Member

despite the fact that you are making presumptions about people's intelligence while simultaneously posting about your tbolt in a charge thread I do agree. My trepidation to root has more to do with the lack of a reliable desktop. If you have the tools needed, root the sucker. But these opinions belong in a "benefits of rooting" thread and I can't be sure how much they answer the OP's ?s

10. da2zoe

da2zoe DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Let's stay on track here and play nice everyone.
  11. D3PHAULTID

D3PHAULTID New Member

I wouldn't have it any other way ;-) If my post came off strident I apologize. Not my intention.

Staying on task, a little more thought and research later... carrera might benefit from backing up their apps and doing a factory reset. Many threads suggested that long time charge users would have an easier time with the 2.3.6 ota when updated along with a FR. Not sure I personally recommend it but something you may want to explore

12. need2learnmore

need2learnmore New Member

help is needed

I recently did a hard reset on my phone which isnt rooted since im afraid i'll mess something up and not know how to go back to the
    unrooted state but my question is after i did the hard reset on my phone i had everything set he way i wanted it and it did an update to yhe phone and the phone no longer has a widget like it had when i first got it for the dyocks news and weather. i normally dont mind losing things from my phone bit i get a slight case of ocd at times over little yhings like losing widgets on my phone. i usually get in the mindset of if its not broke im not messing with it if its working..any good suggestions on how to get the phone back o the factory default settings?
  13. HFlashman

HFlashman New Member

Sometimes the widget disappears when a program is updated. Long press on the home screen where you want the widget, then press "widgets" on the menu that comes up. Your widget should be on the list.
  14. need2learnmore

ok so couple weeks ago i was going through the settings on my sch-i510 and noticed under the tab labeled all under applications that between the email and flash player app that there's an error that has 0.0kb and not really sure how it got there but i do know it's annoying the bejeebers out of me. think this is going back to the whole ocd thing i stated in a previous post.. my question though is if we're paying for the insurance on my phone up front instead of monthly installments would it cost me anything if i took it to a store and wanted to get a replacement or would it be something i'd have to call the store and inquire about?
  15. need2learnmore

Maybe i posted the question in the wrong forum but if anyone is able to answer my question i'd be appreciative of the input of others
  16. JBrewer

JBrewer New Member

Haven't been stock in a while, so not sure which app that would be.

To your question I doubt they'd just up and give you a new phone at this point. They'd at very minimum have you reset the phone. TBH, that's probably going to solve the issue. Before you do that tho, power the phone down and pull the battery for a full 10 min, then put back in and reboot. This does a soft reset on the phone and may very well take care of the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I510
  17. need2learnmore

@JBrewer i tried the battery pull and did a few hard resets and no such luck so i emailed the salesman that sold us the phones and explained the situation to him and asked if it would cost anything out of pocket to replace the phone and am waiting to hear his response
  18. JBrewer

JBrewer New Member

Sounds like a glitch. Possibly could if happened from the last ota. Good luck, its possible they'll be able to get you a new phone it perhaps resend the fp1 to you. You can flash the fp1 in recovery but since you're already dealing with support I'd keep with that. Let us know.

Sent from my SCH-I510
  19. need2learnmore

Not really that annoying but it does bug me that i feel like i may have been partially to blame for it
  20. JBrewer

JBrewer New Member

So, what do you think you did to make that happen?

Sent from my SCH-I510
Search tags for this page

droid charge running slow

droid charge slow
droid charge twlauncher force close
my droid charge is slow
my samsung charge is running slow
samsung charge very slow

tw launcher error droid charge

twlauncher force close droid charge
twlauncher force close samsung charge
why does my droid charge so slow