What's Causing the delay of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
I wish VZW would come out with an answer on this...

For years they mandate that the phones they sell come with a locked bootloader. Motorola recently announced that they would not ship any more encrypted bootloaders unless the carrier required it. VZW decided that phones like the Razr and others must continue to be locked, and the reasoning that they gave was "network security", "Data integrity", etc... This is a stance that they would not consider moving on.

And yet, the best feature about the Nexus is that it is unlocked. You can run ROM's, whatever you want on it pretty much. So doesn't that fly in the face of everything that they have been saying?

How can they continue to prevent people from unlocking the phones that WE PAID FOR, citing "network security", and then allow the Nexus on their network?

I really don't understand how they can take such a contradictory stance on this issue. Either unlocked phones on their network is some sort of potential security risk, or they aren't. Which is it?

The Nexus is not unlocked, it's *unlockable*. The justification for allowing it to be unlockable is that it's a developer phone, it's the phone that people designing apps for ICS should be working with, and developers shouldn't have a locked down phone.

But the average customer buying a Galaxy Nexus will never unlock the bootloader, and thus is far less likely to accidentally brick their phone.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Nexus is not unlocked, it's *unlockable*. The justification for allowing it to be unlockable is that it's a developer phone, it's the phone that people designing apps for ICS should be working with, and developers shouldn't have a locked down phone.

But the average customer buying a Galaxy Nexus will never unlock the bootloader, and thus is far less likely to accidentally brick their phone.

But then why not allow an "unlockable" Razr? Isn't there the same "Security threat" on VZW's network with a Nexus that they claim they need to block with every other phone?

Reaction score
Impatient folks doing this is justifying Verizon holding the nexus more. At least give them an impression the Razr sales are not strong.. maybe they will feel more compelled to release the nexus.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

It wasn't so much being impatient as it was that I wasn't a big fan on how the Nexus is curved and fixed storage. Even though the Nexus will be a "purer" Android phone, couldn't the same thing be done with the Razr and other "non-pure" Android phones? Besides, I'm sure I'll be getting ICS when a dev has it done, so the OS isn't a big deal. I'm sorry I was one of the ones who upgraded to the Razr causing the delay of the Nexus, but I still like my rooted Razr so far

Status
Not open for further replies.