What's better for battery life global or cdma?

OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
ok and today (phone idle at 17%)(cell standby 14%) lol i dont get whats going on havent added any new apps removed some of the more recent ones to see if that helped have had good signal confused

Reaction score
The percentage is a horrible way to measure the amount of energy that the radios are using.

Those percentages mean "of the total discharged energy, this function used X% of it"

So if you happen to check your e-mail a few more times that day every other number except the email and display(assuming you don't have superman vision or something) will go down, since all the values combines must equal 100%. These values are poor references at best. But to say that one or two days you got 10% rather than 6% omgwtfbbq doesn't mean that it the 10% is more actual energy than the 6% of the other day. Now if you alternated days of gsm on and off, and set everything to sync every hour(as a control to make sure nothing is set to every other day which would break this experiment) and recorded the values over a month, charging the phone for a pre-determined time every night and not a second longer, then and only then can you use the % value as a direct correlation to actual energy drain.

Case and point... my cell idle is at 3% right now. But my phone has been heavily used for the entire day since I'm on a 24 hours shift right now. It's probably used an asston of power throughout the day, but since my screen has been on as well, my display is at 40%. The only thing I can say for sure is that my display has used roughly 13 times more energy, that's the only conclusion that can possibly be drawn. Tommorrow when I sleep most of the day away I bet it will say 15% phone idle and 3-10% display... doesn't mean that the radio is using more power. Just that compared to everything else using power, the radio is using more of the total.

Short version: 100mah can be both 6% and 10% depending on the usage of other stuff on you phone.

It also stands to reason that if your phone was on standby roughly the same amount of time and has a higher percentage you're phone won't die as fast.

-Saik0

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Well, I've tried it on Global for a few days and haven't noticed any difference. I'm switching back to CDMA only.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
77% after 13 hours yesterday. Thats while syncing gmail and company email... Not bad, but not better than CDMA only.