What's better for battery life global or cdma?

justin482005

Reaction score
I read a post that cdma is better for the battery but I noticed that when I switched the network that my phone idle and standby usage increased by 13% and when I put it back to global the usage when back down to 6% phone idle and like 5 to 6 % phone standby ......so the question is has anyone played around with this ....

Also when you roaming when you choose to use the data for better signal do you really see additional charges?

Sent from my DROID3

Last edited:

TyrannoTaurus

Reaction score
Verizon's network is CDMA only, so just select CDMA rather than Global for a little battery savings. You'll only need GSM if you travel outside the US.

akhi216

Reaction score
I read a post that cdma is better for the battery but I noticed that when I switched the network that my phone idle and standby usage increased by 40% and when I put it back to global the usage when back down to 6% phone idle and like 5 to 6 % phone standby ......so the question is has anyone played around with this ....

Also when you roaming when you choose to use the data for better signal do you really see additional charges?

Sent from my DROID3

Same problem here. I decided to just keep it on Global. The funny thing is that I'm getting better battery life with the phone on Global contrary to what everyone says.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
It does sound counterintuitive, more radios running should cost you more battery. I haven't tested it since the before update, but my standby and idle are at 10% and 13% with the SIM card pulled, so your 40% seems quite high.

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score

Sent from my DROID3

When you go over a certain amount of MB of data while roaming, you will have to pay overage fees.

OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
I put that mistake sorry .....mine was running about the same

Sent from my DROID3

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I put that mistake sorry .....mine was running about the same

Sent from my DROID3

I'll see if I can confirm your results. I suppose its possible that the update addressed some things that actually make the global radio better. I had read somewhere that ones cdma signal would be stronger with the global radio enabled so I suppose that could account for the better battery in certain circumstances.

OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
I'll see if I can confirm your results. I suppose its possible that the update addressed some things that actually make the global radio better. I had read somewhere that ones cdma signal would be stronger with the global radio enabled so I suppose that could account for the better battery in certain circumstances.

Yea that's what I was thinking however according to the phone radios was taking up a decent amount of usage

Sent from my DROID3

akhi216

Reaction score
When I had my D3 only CDMA, my battery would drain faster. FWIW, when I put it on Global I get better battery life, and I do keep the Verizon sim card in. I haven't cared to test it on Global with the sim card pulled although I don't know if it makes a difference since I never leave the US.

Last edited:
OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
ok now my phone idle is at 10% and cell stand by at 9% on global when it was 5 and 6% and i havent changed anything strange......wonder why ?

akhi216

Reaction score
ok now my phone idle is at 10% and cell stand by at 9% on global when it was 5 and 6% and i havent changed anything strange......wonder why ?

Perhaps you were in an area that had a weak signal?

OP
justin482005

justin482005

Reaction score
nope been at my work all day with full 3g signal and still reading the same ....when i posted this thread it wasnt doing that
Perhaps you were in an area that had a weak signal?