What's 2010 hold for Exchange server support on the Droid?

OP
TheCleaner

TheCleaner

Reaction score
Bumping this up in hopes that there will be an update to Exchange support in 2.1 this week.

I personally just don't like the look/feel of Touchdown, even after trying it 4 times in demo mode.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Bumping this up in hopes that there will be an update to Exchange support in 2.1 this week.

I personally just don't like the look/feel of Touchdown, even after trying it 4 times in demo mode.

IMHO I doubt there will be any change to the exchange interface with 2.1 due to the fact that the NexusOne users are complaining about the same thing you are.

REARless

Reaction score
Google and Microsoft are now fierce Rivals. Just do a Windows 7 install and see how many hoops you have to jump through to use Google as your search engine and not Bing.

I really doubt Google is going to do ANYTHING to support Exchange.

BTW. My company is in the middle of implementing a Corporate GMail SaaS. We are converting 800 users to GMail which will house our corporate mail domain. $50 per user per year with 25GB per user of storage. Running Exchange on your own hardware can't come close to competing with that.

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Google and Microsoft are now fierce Rivals. Just do a Windows 7 install and see how many hoops you have to jump through to use Google as your search engine and not Bing.

I really doubt Google is going to do ANYTHING to support Exchange.

BTW. My company is in the middle of implementing a Corporate GMail SaaS. We are converting 800 users to GMail which will house our corporate mail domain. $50 per user per year with 25GB per user of storage. Running Exchange on your own hardware can't come close to competing with that.

It's definitely not on Google's "High Priority" list and it shouldn't be at this time. I have been using Touchdown (against my free will) and it gives me what I need. I know there is another app that is in beta called "exchangeit", but I cannot comment on what that app does as I have not tested it yet, but I plan on it just to see what they bring to the table.

rkeller62

Reaction score
It's definitely not on Google's "High Priority" list and it shouldn't be at this time. I have been using Touchdown (against my free will) and it gives me what I need. I know there is another app that is in beta called "exchangeit", but I cannot comment on what that app does as I have not tested it yet, but I plan on it just to see what they bring to the table.

exchangeit uses OWA and webdav, not activesync. That is a deal breaker for me as I can't use our OWA server with an email client on my phone. We have a secure sign-on that pops up before the OWA web page is presented which breaks linkage for the email clients. ActiveSync works fine for me with the default email client. Thankfully, we use security profiles but do not require them.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you are stuck in the MS - Exchange world, get a Windows OS phone.
That's an extremely simplistic view IMO. I use Exchange and I'm very happy with my Droid (and was very happy with Exchange and my BB when I was on a BB). I have no desire to go with WinMo for various reasons that aren't worth going into. Most people seem to make their mobile device decisions on much more than just "Exchange (and WinMo) or no Exchange (and not WinMo)".

...and that's a lot of hyperbole. I'm on Win 7 and it didn't take "many hoops" to set Google as my search engine.

In any case, competing in the search market isn't a valid justification for dismissing a particular email server that a signficant number of people use. Every mobile platform needs as many users as it can get whether it's Android, iPhone, WinMo, BB, Symbian, Palm or whatever.

This whole "us versus them" mentality doesn't help anything and reeks of fanboyism to me. Thankfully, the OHA doesn't share your perspective and did include Exchange support in Android and developers such as Nitrodesk have improved upon it. If I was looking for someone to tell me what I could and couldn't use on my mobile device I would have actually gone with an iPhone. :D

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
that's what corporate calendar and email are for. exchange support is built in. your infrastructure must support it.

tethering your device to a PC is yesterday's technology.

I agree, if you are stuck in the MS - Exchange world, get a Windows OS phone.

The Droid is flawless with GMail.

I would rather see Android programmers spend time on issues other than collaborating with the Evil Empire.

Great attitude. Let's make sure the Droid won't be used by corporate America and can be maintained as a geek playground.

RJC5XTC

Reaction score
I think it is largely a matter of how each individual works or would like to work that translates to their satisfaction with or dissatisfaction with the current exchange / droid sync. Personally I am ok with the current status, but would really like to have tasks sync. Frequently I am not in the office and remember something I need to add to my task list and have to send myself an email to remember rather than just entering the new task.

Robert

OP
TheCleaner

TheCleaner

Reaction score
About time...

Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Exchange support

Improved security with the addition of numeric pin or alpha-numeric password options to unlock device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.

Remote wipe: Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data in case device is lost or stolen.

Exchange Calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.
Auto-discovery: you just need to know your user-name and password to easily set up and sync an Exchange account (available for Exchange 2007 and higher).

Global Address Lists look-up is now available in the Email application, enabling users to auto-complete recipient names from the directory.

:icon_ banana:

(I never liked the look/feel of Touchdown, so this is great news to me)

thecrazing

Reaction score
Exchange support

Improved security with the addition of numeric pin or alpha-numeric password options to unlock device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.

Remote wipe: Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data in case device is lost or stolen.

I suspect the remote wipe and the alphanumeric/pin is the biggest get here. I imagine there are some very strict policies on security in many companies, and were prohibitive to Android phones getting a lot of corporate business.

arw01

Reaction score
Froyo will bring two functions I mis from my winmo samsung that is collecting dust for the last 4 days:

the search corporate directory already mentioned above
search the server for past emails. I used both of those features several times a week and will miss them.

What I am stumped on now is how to get the stock motorola droid email app (the envelope with the @ sign) to search MY EMAIL on the phone for anything, or to sort it by sender, subject, etc.

On my old winmo phone I could just start to type the word and it filtered instantly, cutting down the list to just what matched while I typed it.

arw01

Reaction score
Lively topic today.

Trying the Froyo release. The stock email client with now provide addresses from the exchange server, but I have not yet found any search capability for email. Only gmail.