What would you pay for a truely open phone?

How much is it really worth to you?

• $75

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100

• $125

• $150

• $200+

• Total voters

Icculus760

Reaction score
There's enough threads in various forums about P3D's recent post and plenty of better places to discuss your thoughts.

I'm wondering how many of you would pay a premium to have a completely open phone: no encrypted bootloaders, no "you didn't take the OS push, you can't make calls anymore", no tethering restrictions, etc

Assume every phone would be on a 2-yr contract on whichever provider you wanted, there would be no data restrictions for any reason, you'd have no warranty, and it would be a one-time fee ON TOP OF the normal price.

I could see myself dropping an extra $100 to have this freedom if the carriers/manufacturers decide to lock things down and make us dependent on them for new OS versions. The only reason I haven't upgraded my OG Droid since its release is because of all the work the dev's have done to keep it looking & running fresh.

...and I can't edit my poll, so I guess nobody can vote for $0, which really sucks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Zero for me....rooting does nothing to get me to pay extra.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would pay what I normally pay for a new phone. $200 on contract and about $600 off contract.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I can't decide between $125 and $150 :laugh:

You should've formulated the poll better

1 Nothing
2 Less than $50
3 Between $50 to $100
4 $100-$200
5 More than $200

shadow559

Reaction score
Nothing more. U can root phones already. Why pay 4 it

Sent from my VM670 using DroidForums App

OP
I

Icculus760

Reaction score
Nothing more. U can root phones already. Why pay 4 it Sent from my VM670 using DroidForums App

the point of this thread is b/c of P3Droid's thoughts about the future of Android.
I agree it's not worth paying extra for something we can do now

But (PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY!!! what I am about to write is NOT what P3D said was happening, so PLEASE read the below link before commenting on my next line) if the only option in the future is "no rooting" or "rooting costing extra $", what, if anything, would you be willing to pay?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otloaders-rooting-manufacturers-carriers.html

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a premium. It would cost the manufacturer the same or less so why pay more?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's how I look at it except the car comes with wheels; it's just you are not allowed to change them.

Beka27

Reaction score
I think fully open phones are only of real value to the die-hard devs and mods. The rest of us don't really know what we're missing, so it doesn't bother us as much.

My phone is rooted, I have a good amount of control, I don't feel that at this point, my phone is a worthless device JUST because I cannot use custom kernels. I have never had an open smartphone, so I don't have anything to compare it too. I get that openness is a good thing for advancing modifications for the people who do this... but I would not pay money (on top of the cost of the device) for it to be open.