What would prevent my Droid IV from getting Verizon's ICS update?

Rocky

Reaction score
I ask because I just rooted and would like to freeze some apps.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rocky

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Freezing apps, unless it's the upgrade app, will not prevent you from getting the upgrade, however freezing apps and failing to unfreeze them before you upgrade will prevent the upgrade from being successful.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Well that's pretty clear... except for the fact that I ignore what the upgrade app is. Either way I'll hold my horses and rather not freeze anything until my phone's got Ice Cream Sandwich flavor all over it.

Thanks again!

AMTrombley0924

Reaction score
You can freeze and defrost apps to your heart's content. I wouldn't let upcoming ICS stop you from freezing (safe) bloat. As soon as you hear in the forums/blog sites that ICS is rolling out for the D4, just defrost everything and accept the update when you get it. If you've "missed" the initial push to your phone, it will remind you again in a few hours (Moto persists when pushing an OTA), or you could pull the OTA by Settings>About Phone>System Updates.

Until that time comes, I have a bunch of frozen crapware that doesn't worry me.

Here's the list of apps that you can safely freeze without affecting the operation of your phone:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/198081-bloatware-apps-safe-remove-droid-4-a.html

Last edited:

Kabilos

Reaction score
I just got my ICS update from Verizon and previously had a ton of frozen apps (Mainly realized this becuase I saw all of the icons come back after the update).

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Correct, freezing apps will not prevent an OTA from installing since freezing an app doesn't delete it or add .bak to the filename, it removes the app from the call list which is a list of installed apps that the phone thinks are installed. Titanium backup only touches this list, it doesn't touch the apps themselves so you still have a "stock" system as far as the update is concerned.

However removing apps (including bloatware) or modifying the system (even minor changes) will prevent an update from installing because an update looks to see if all the stock apps are there and that no system files have been modified in any way.