What WIPE does and how to do it...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mph122074, Jul 7, 2010.

1. mph122074

mph122074 New Member

The problem with saying the word WIPE is there are so many different ways to do it...

Here are 4 of them...

The phone software in most cases has a FACTORY RESET...which really just clears the cache from my understanding. Kinda keeps you on the same level you are on but clears your apps and settings and requires you to sign back in to Google when finished

SP recovery has a “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and a “Wipe Cache Partition”... 2 Separate options...

I wish I could tell you in technical terms what just wiping the cache does, but I don’t know other than clearing a folder of saved bit and pieces…(Just being Honest)

However, Doing the wipe data and factory reset does exactly the same thing as above. You still keep your operating system, just lose all of your settings and apps…(wallpapers, sounds go back to default, etc…)

It is an old wives tale that you should wipe twice to be safe. Well not so much, nothing is perfect so it is always best to do it twice to make sure you clean everything…(I do it 3 times but that’s just me)

The 3rd way is to do it with ROM MANAGER…this has become an easy way of getting it done. When you download a ROM with RM you are given and option to wipe data and cache, and also to do a backup…(always do a backup…ALWAYS…) Doing it this way also basically does a factory reset before the ROM is installed…it allows for a somewhat clean install…However as stated above things could be missed…

So how can you wipe twice(or three times in my case)? Well if you use RM to download your ROM follow these steps

1. Download the ROM of choice
    2. When the download is complete, hit cancel. The download is still there, you just are not using it yet.
    3. Turn you phone off
    4. Open the keyboard
    5. Hold the X key and turn the phone on at the same time (this takes you into recovery)
    6. Close the keyboard
    7. Use the volume keys to move up and down and the camera key to select…
    8. Select wipe data/factory reset
    9. Select yes
    10. Select wipe cache partition
    11. Repeat steps 8, 9, and 10 as many times as you wish
    12. Select “install zip from sdcard”
    13. Select “choose zip from sdcard”
    14. Select “clockworkmod/”
    15. Select “download/”
    16. Now choose the location where your ROM came from…This can be a little tricky cause some of the names are not clear, but most are…
    17. Hit the Power button until you see “reboot system now” highlighted
    18. Select it
    Now you are booting your new ROM…Seems like a lot but really only takes about 5 minutes in most cases to get this done, and what is 5 minutes now to save you headaches later…

The above method can also be used if downloading ROM directly from the source from your computer to your SD card…Just look in a different folder from steps 13-15…

So you heard me say earlier that I knew of 4 ways to WIPE… (well, I know a lot more, but of the most common ones anyway)

Well the 4th one gets a little more done then just a factory reset and is my own way of going. This will actually remove software from your phone which will give you a truly “CLEAN WIPE”

STOP!!! YOU MUST BE CAREFULL NOT TO SELECT “FORMAT SD CARD” YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FLASH A NEW ROM EASILY IF YOU DO!!!

Start with steps 1-11 above. Then stop and start here

a. Select “Partitions Menu”
    b. One at a time, select each format option… STOP!!! YOU MUST BE CAREFULL NOT TO SELECT “FORMAT SD CARD” YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FLASH A NEW ROM EASILY IF YOU DO!!!
    c. Format boot
    d. Yes
    e. Format system
    f. Yes
    g. Format data
    h. Yes
    i. Format cache
    j. Yes
    k. STOP!!! YOU MUST BE CAREFULL NOT TO SELECT “FORMAT SD CARD” YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FLASH A NEW ROM EASILY IF YOU DO!!!
    l. Format sd-ext
    m. Yes
    n. Repeat steps A-M as many times as you like… STOP!!! YOU MUST BE CAREFULL NOT TO SELECT “FORMAT SD CARD” YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FLASH A NEW ROM EASILY IF YOU DO!!!
    o. Start again at step 12 above

Hope this gives you a little more insight as to what WIPE means and does in different cases

MIke
  2. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Think of the wipe utility like the format utility in dos or windows.

When you perform a "wipe" on the data or cache disk partitions, you are formating those partitions.

Mike
Search tags for this page

android system recovery 3e wipe cache partition

android system recovery wipe cache partition
android wipe cache partition
android wipe cache partition what does it do

what does it mean to wipe a phone

what does wipe cache partition do

what does wipe cache partition mean

what does wipe cache partition mean android
what does wipe misc partition mean
what does wipe phone mean