what will happen to rooted 2.3.6 when ICS comes out?

mapd00d

Reaction score
I'm on rooted 2.3.6 stock ROM.
When the OTA update came out, it messed up my Superuser rights and I had to run the root utility again (without unrooting), and it works fine now.

Should I expect the same when ICS comes out?
And if so, is there something that I can do so that my phone will NOT upgrade to ICS? (at least until a stable root for Official ICS comes out?)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
All OTA updates should be expected to have the same behavior does not matter if it is ICS. You have the option to try the OTA RootKeeper but we won't know if it works until it comes time and someone tries it.

When ICS comes out if you don't go check for system updates it won't force you to update, giving you time to see what others who took the update experienced.

OP
mapd00d

mapd00d

Reaction score
i remember with my droid x, it would automatically upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5, etc. and with the recent OTA update on Razr I did not have a choice about upgrading; there was a popup on the screen, and if I declined, it would reappear 5 minutes later.
how are you certain that when ICS rolls out it will not be either automatic, or an annoying popup every 5 minutes?

it's not that i'm not curious about ice cream sandwich, but i'm completely happy with the way my phone is set up right now.

Reaction score
i remember with my droid x, it would automatically upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5, etc. and with the recent OTA update on Razr I did not have a choice about upgrading; there was a popup on the screen, and if I declined, it would reappear 5 minutes later.
how are you certain that when ICS rolls out it will not be either automatic, or an annoying popup every 5 minutes?

it's not that i'm not curious about ice cream sandwich, but i'm completely happy with the way my phone is set up right now.

You nailed it with the pop up. Updates are never forced or automatic. The pop up may be annoying but in the end you have to agree to the update. But i have heard that you can freeze something that still make the pop up go away for good. I think there is something in the app list called updater our something that you freeze.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well I don't want to lie to you or give you false information, so I will say this.

All of the updates I have done on my Razr were done because I went in and selected System Updates. I guess it is a matter of your location and when Verizon actually "pushes" the update to your phone, rather than it just being available for you to download.

If you set your data to SYNC over WIFI only then the system updates won't even try to update unless you are on a WIFI connection. Also if you have your phone rooted already and APPS frozen then the system updates again should not be available.

I remember when I had my Droid X and got an update pushed to me, after it downloaded it I went in and deleted the file from the local cache using Root Explorer and it took care of the problem until I was ready for the update.

I think you are worrying for nothing, though I am sure they will have a root method figured out before it becomes a problem. They have already obviously rooted every ICS leak, plus ICS for the Nexxus.

I wouldn't fret over something that will probably not be an issue.