1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

what will happen to root when 2.1 is pushed

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tktouch12, Jan 6, 2010.

1. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i just rooted my droid on 2.0.1. if the 2.1 update is pushed out, i will obviously want it. my question is what will happen to my phone if i just install the update? will it brick, or just update and lose root, or wipe itself and update?
    what will happen if i do the sholes recovery image?
    just please explain all that stuff refering to the 2.1 update
    also, if it will wipe it, how do i 'backup my apps (or at least list of installed apps)?
    thank you

p.s.- i've tried searching, but it i can never find anything useful.
  2. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

Your phone will not be bricked, but unless you have OTA's blocked, you will loose root. There are several apps that will back up your apps in the Markerplace.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

So if I just accept and install the ota 2.1 update onto my rooted 2.0.1, it will just update normally and I will keep all my Alps? (Just loss root)
    Great. Thank you, I feel better now

What would happen if I installed wholes recovery image, but hen just stayed where I am?
  4. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

So if I just accept and install the ota 2.1 update onto my rooted 2.0.1, it will just update normally and I will keep all my Alps? (Just loss root)
    Great. Thank you, I feel better now

What would happen if I installed wholes recovery image, but hen just stayed where I am?
  5. p0rk burn

p0rk burn New Member

Heres what you do:

(1) rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak. This will prevent your phone from auto-updating (or possibly bricking your phone if you switched things around after rooting it).
    (2) download the custom recovery from sholes and back everything up, this will backup your data file as part of the process. At least from a 2.01 to a different ROM of 2.01, you can then use the recovery mode to load that data file and everything will be saved.
    (3) wait for a "custom" 2.1 to come out like we had with 2.01, shouldn't take long after 2.1 is officially released.
    (4) ????
    (5) profit!
  6. mrZoSo

mrZoSo New Member

Apps purchased through the market will always show that you purchased them, as long as your using the same Google account.
  7. taypotts

taypotts New Member

When you say switched things around? Does that mean changing the boot animation? Or more advanced things?
  8. Droidlicous

Droidlicous New Member

Ok, I'm not finding the otacerts.zip file! Mine isnt rooted anymore, I was just trying to make sure that OTA Updates will happen and when it does will it get rid of my Superuser Icon?
  9. mekman

mekman New Member

When I go under system/etc/security to find my otacerts file I find a file with a badge on it and the otacerts zip file. The badged file is named cacerts.bks and the zip is otacerts.zip. Should there be another file? If not which of the two should I rename to insure my the auto-update is turned off. I'm still new to all this and don't want a bricked phone by not following up on the necessary steps.
  10. Topsy

Topsy New Member

otacerts.zip is the one. Rename it otacerts.zip.bak.
  11. bsp120167

bsp120167 New Member

My understanding on this is if you have rooted your droid it should be auto blocking any ota updates. Is this not correct?
  12. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

Rooting your droid means that you have a "super user" app installed (that is, you have /system/bin/su installed).

I would expect that as long as you have that file in place, it does not matter if you do OTA updates or not.

I am not 100% sure if anything other than that app is required ... so someone who is more knowledgeable can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
  13. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Rooting the phone does not block OTA updates, that's a seperate modification.

There is no guarantee root will be lost with the update really. Everyone is just assuming the worst case scenario where Verizon or Motorola creates an update that deletes the super user app, and then blocks the whole that allowed it to work in the first place forcing us to deal with their stock software.

They do have a history of this for sure, which is why i've personally disable ota's and i'll just stick to ROM I like.
  14. bsp120167

bsp120167 New Member

When I try to rename the otacerts.zip file it say insufficient permissions. I am rooted and running 2.1. Do I need to do something different?
  15. Topsy

Topsy New Member

first:
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

otherwise u don't have write access to system files.
  16. bsp120167

bsp120167 New Member

I am a new convert to Android from WM and don't quite understand your lingo yet. Do I do this using the DroidRootHelper?
  17. Topsy

Topsy New Member

I've never used it but from what I understand it has a mount system as writeable option in it somewhere, that's what you'll need to hit.
  18. kennyg23

kennyg23 New Member

I think updating to 2.1 would be exactly the same as unrooting your phone. When you unroot, you are reinstalling the original 2.0.1 rom again so why would installing 2.1 be any different.
  19. jeff.essy

jeff.essy New Member

how do you know if you blocked OTA update?i thought if your phone was rooted you couldnt get OTA updates?
  20. Topsy

Topsy New Member

system/etc/security/otacerts.zip

rename that file to otacerts.zip.bak

No more ota updates
    :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
Search tags for this page
what happen when rooted phone being updated?

what will happen if i root my android

what would this mean img-19238.zip