What were the designers thinking?

rbyham

Reaction score
I have carried the S3 for a week now. Love the phone. However there are a few isues. The biggest is placement of on/off and volume rockers. Why opposed? Every time I try to ppower off I am moving the volume rocker. Who on the design side thought this was a good idea? Were they assuming most people unable to gasp the phone with one hand wrapping around both sides? I do it easily which is why I amfrustrated with button placement. Will give it a few more days.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Very sadly I'm going to have to agree. I LOVE my S3!! *see my thread on that*

But you're right. So many times have I tried to do one or the other, only to push in the opposite. It is frustrating. I've gotten better at it, hardly an issue anymore. But I dislike how I have to be conscious of it, if only the volume was moved half an inch lower, it wouldn't even be a problem.

Oh well, can't win them all I guess. The rest of the awesomeness makes up for this flaw.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yep, I dislike the placement of the volume as well. I was constantly hitting volume when turning the screen on/off the first few days. It's only been a week, but I'm a bit more aware of it now. I got spoiled with the Maxx having the volume on the same side as power lol

jwilly216

Reaction score
I don't understand why you all have to squeeze both sides of the phone to press the power button. My point finger rests on the power button and my thumb on the volume up. When I wanna press the power button I press down with my pointer fiber and when I wanna turn the volume up I just press down with my thumb. I don't squeeze birth at the same time lol..

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
its perfect for me actually.. im left handed

I don't understand why you all have to squeeze both sides of the phone to press the power button. My point finger rests on the power button and my thumb on the volume up. When I wanna press the power button I press down with my pointer fiber and when I wanna turn the volume up I just press down with my thumb. I don't squeeze birth at the same time lol..

I think the problem is hand size. Or pretty much just how you hold it. I'm ambidextrous, but it's about the way I hold the phone because I have big hands. My middle finger just happens to always rest on the bottom volume button, so when I press the power button, volume get's pressed with it a lot of the time because it requires almost no pressure, and you're not even thinking about it because you're just unlocking it or whatever. So we don't "have to," it just happens. It's something you can get used to, but still annoying.

BuccoDroid

Reaction score
I had the same concern when I first started using my S3. But I soon found that if I hold it like jwilly says above and use the index finger to turn the phone on or wake it up I have no problem. My hands are kinda big but I have no problem when I hold the phone as jwilly suggests.

OP
R

rbyham

Reaction score
Not sure I understand jwilly... can't seem to get that posture to work. Maybe a picture would help? :) Either way I am afraid that this phone may go back as I am in my 14 day period with vzw. I note the new Razors are out and have both power and volume rocker on right side. Sounds like genius to me but I fear I may miss all the ram of the S3... decisions... decisions. But for the kind of money we now spend on these smart phones it has to be right!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
For me personally, being 5'4", I have very small hands...plus I'm female lol. Plus I'm just used to having Motorola phones all year and the volume being on the same side as the power button, or as is the case with the X/X2, the power being on top of the phone.

OP
R

rbyham

Reaction score
That is helpful jwilly. It appears your index finger finds a natural spot higher on the volume rocker side than mine. Maybe I can retrain. :) UNfortunately gonna check out razr this afternoon though I doubt the lack of ram will impress. But hey more batt life (2100 vs 2500) might put me over... will see...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
See if I try to hold my phone exactly like that, my pinky doesn't even touch the phone. It feels less secure and just....awkward in my hands. I like my way:happy3: Will just take a bit more getting used to.

jwilly216

Reaction score
jackiescivic said:
For me personally, being 5'4", I have very small hands...plus I'm female lol. Plus I'm just used to having Motorola phones all year and the volume being on the same side as the power button, or as is the case with the X/X2, the power being on top of the phone.

It's definitely a big phone especially for someone with small hands. I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the design, though.it's a matter of personal preference.if I had small hands I'd probably get the razr M or something