What was your data usage like last month on your Droid?

darkgreen

Reaction score
Hmm... 4,014,891KB for me.

4GB - No youtube, no videos, no pandora or other streaming stuff.

Likely culprits: 4,000 contacts * full updating those twice a month must use some, otherwise all I use it for is email, reading RSS feeds, and a bit of voice recognition to take notes in evernote, does GPS directions use a lot of KB? I do that a few hours per month too.

So I would be paying quite a bit more and I don't even do any media stuff like watch youtube. Certainly no tethering. Meanwhile google plans to make everything come over the air... this could get ugly

Idea: We should try to assemble rough data uses on some applications like GPS, RSS feeds, and synchronization. If just the fact I have thousands of contacts means google will be comparing/syncing them twice a day and effectively charging me $20/month in data equivalent, then clearly the users need to figure out such things and make some noise!

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Idea: We should try to assemble rough data uses on some applications like GPS, RSS feeds, and synchronization. If just the fact I have thousands of contacts means google will be comparing/syncing them twice a day and effectively charging me $20/month in data equivalent, then clearly the users need to figure out such things and make some noise!

Just a note in comparing figures from various users. In addition to the significant differences among various applications in the volume of downloads they trigger, one has to take into account the extent to which a device relies primarily on 3G vs Wifi connectivity.

My Droid, for example, spends about 95% of its wake time tied to my home wifi network. Even with heavy use, I've never exceeded 2 gigs of data traffic in a month and most months it's considerably less than a 1 gig. Obviously, those who use 3G extensively have a very different use profile.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
What we need is a type of monitoring application that can log an application's bandwidth usage.

darkgreen

Reaction score
Just a note in comparing figures from various users. In addition to the significant differences among various applications in the volume of downloads they trigger, one has to take into account the extent to which a device relies primarily on 3G vs Wifi connectivity.

My Droid, for example, spends about 95% of its wake time tied to my home wifi network. Even with heavy use, I've never exceeded 2 gigs of data traffic in a month and most months it's considerably less than a 1 gig. Obviously, those who use 3G extensively have a very different use profile.

Agreed. I don't use WiFi at all, only because it gobbles battery and I thought I used pretty negligible data. Does Locale work for turning WiFi on and off? It isn't mentioned on their webpage.

Guchi

Reaction score
Data Usage
For your reference, your data usage is also shown in
Megabytes.
Allowance Used Billable
In Kilobytes s unlimite 7,091,575 KB --
In Megabytes* s unlimite 6,926 MB --
In Gigabytes* s unlimite 7 GB --

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I've had the Droid two months and both of those months I've used 2GB.

This is with light tethering. I use it at work on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays so that I don't have to use the company's computers for surfing. I only use Pandora when I'm shower in the mornings and I watch maybe 2-3 youtube videos a week.

jrod1990

Reaction score
Last month was my first over the mythical 5gb limit, 5.2 GB, going to see if I can keep it under 5 this month just for grins

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just a little over 10 gig last month and no tethering

Another UD user with high usage...hmmm...Do you stream alot?

What the H3ll does the rom have to do with the usage.. stream pandora,youtube, GPS,general web surfing, push emails, FB,twitter.. all around not afraid to hit the download or play button :icon_eek::icon_eek:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I don't use WiFi at all, only because it gobbles battery and I thought I used pretty negligible data. Does Locale work for turning WiFi on and off? It isn't mentioned on their webpage.

Can't say for Locale. I use "Y5 Battery Saver." Turns my wifi on and off automatically.

P.S. WiFi doesn't "gobble battery." Looking for WiFi gobbles battery.

R

Romple

Last month was my first over the mythical 5gb limit, 5.2 GB, going to see if I can keep it under 5 this month just for grins

Careful. Verizon's gonna come after you with billy clubs now for peaking 5 Gigs.... :icon_ devil:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I've used 1.634 gig and my cycle ends on the 22nd. Man I didn't think I used that much...