what truly are the benefits of partitianing ur sdcard

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by chris420o, Apr 14, 2010.

1. chris420o

chris420o Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I mean I know u can do apps2sd....but if u don't have a lot of apps does that truly do anything for u...there are 1000 posts about this I've looked n read but haven't got a clear answer honestly...does partitianing add speed to your phone at all?...that's basically what I wanna know if it does ill do it ton but I want someone who knows what they are talking about or has done it to explain to me or give me a difinitive yes its worth it I see a dif lol

2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm with you on this one. If you have a ton of apps, it will free up some internet storage. But like you, I don't have a lot of apps now. I would think the partitioning would make apps load a little slower. But would it be slow enough to notice.

The one big advantage seems to me would be the ability to not have to reload all your apps after a new clean rom install.

3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you partition the SD card, it's into three partitions:
    1). Large (~15GB) Fat32 partition for all your stuff
    2). 512MB ext3 for apps
    3). 256MB-512MB or so Swap

The first partition is the same as it was before, only slightly smaller. Not sure on the order of 2+3, but the order isn't really relevant.

The second partition is for apps2sd storage. If you have a lot of apps, this would be helpful. It will not speed things up, however - it will actually slow things down, as accessing from the SD card will be slower than accessing from the local flash.

The third partition is a swap drive. This will act as virtual memory. Linux can swap things in and out of normal memory so that you can keep more programs running at once. Instead of seeing "50mb free" you will now see something like "300mb free". Once you cross that border from memory to SD card, however, you will notice a slowdown. If you have a fast SD card (class 6), it might not be bad, but it will be a slowdown, as there's no way SD is faster than normal system memory.

The only advantage I can see is if you have your phone set up to run a TON of applications all the time, and you really can't bear to let them die off when you run out of memory. In this case, the swap space will let everything keep running, and they will possibly be able to be recalled into main memory faster than if they were having to start up again.

If you want speed improvements, your best bet is to cut down on the number of apps you keep running all the time and don't run a task killer unless you are positive you've configured it well. If you keep killing tasks off, only to have to restart them every time you unlock your phone, that's making it feel slower. Killing off things that you DON'T want to keep running is a good thing, though, as an unintentional background task can slow things down and kill battery life.

4. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for sounding like an idiot but its almost lunch time for me and im starving and tired lol....anyway....i just partitioned my SD card and installed ultimate droid v10. it may be just in my mind but it seems like app launch time has gotten slower with the SD partition. I AM running advanced task killer pro but im pretty sure i have a good set up with that...i keep some things ignored but most apps are auto-killed every half hour....any reason why i am thinking my apps are launching slower?

5. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the swap size was either 32 mb or 64 mb?

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You *just* partitioned, or you partitioned AND told it to use apps2sd and/or swap?

Either apps2sd and/or swap WILL slow things down.

7. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 Member

Ratings:
    +0

yes i am using apps2sd....should i turn off this option!?!

8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    umm...yes?

I just explained why apps2sd is slower to launch applications....you even quoted it when you replied :p

9. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Get a 16 gig class 10 SD card. That should really help alleviate any speed issues.

10. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 Member

Ratings:
    +0

LOL thanks man. i appreciate it

11. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 Member

Ratings:
    +0

whats that gonna cost?

12. VolDroid

VolDroid Member