What tools/utilities?

jaybogg

Reaction score
I rooted my phone last night and wondered what tools/utilities do ya'll recommend? I've heard the apps "Root Explorer" and "Titanium Backup" mentioned and downloaded both of them. Any others ya'll recommend and why. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, just point me in the right direction, didn't see anything obvious in my search.

I am not looking to do any rom flashing(yet), just getting rid of bloatware, applying tweaks such as the boot ani FoxKat n MattyP tweaked, etc...

Also, are there any PC based apps you would recommend along the same lines to use while tethered for file maintenance, app deletion, etc...

Thanks in advance all.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The only root required APPS that I use besides Root Explorer and Titanium Backup are..

1. CacheMate for Root Users-For a quick cache clearing when I don't want to boot into recovery.

2. Screenshot UX- I know ICS can take screen shots without root but I like this APP better.

3. Bootstrapper and ROM Manager-Just for backup purposes I don't install ROMS.

4. SQL Lite Editor-For the hotspot hack.

5. VooDoo-OTA Root Keeper

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
The only root required APPS that I use besides Root Explorer and Titanium Backup are..

1. CacheMate for Root Users-For a quick cache clearing when I don't want to boot into recovery.

2. Screenshot UX- I know ICS can take screen shots without root but I like this APP better.

3. Bootstrapper and ROM Manager-Just for backup purposes I don't install ROMS.

4. SQL Lite Editor-For the hotspot hack.

5. VooDoo-OTA Root Keeper

Thanks once again Sydman. Very concise and to the point!

Is there any advantage to hotspot hack? I've had great results w/ FoxFi although sometimes it takes a couple tries to connect.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you are happy with Foxfi then nope keep using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for in regards to PC apps, but I use Teamviewer (free) between my pc, laptop, my tablet and my phone. It works great for accessing anything that is on my other technology from my phone... it gives you complete remote access between all devices. The only thing that is frustrating is that I can modify, copy, upload things when on my laptop or pc from my phone to tablet but I can not from my phone. If I remote access from my phone, then i am limited to remote acccess and viewing. There is a work around... If I need a file that is on the pc/laptop onto my phone, then by controlling my pc/laptop from my phone, I make the pc/laptop email me the file so I can get it and wah la, it's on my phone.

There are other apps that do the same kind of thing: phone explorer & splashtop remote (actually on sale right now for $4.99 from 9.99).

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like ROM Toolbox Pro to change fonts, governors, schedulers and other tweaks.

CPU Sleeper shuts down 1 core when your phone doesn't need it and it works well.

If you start flashing roms, App2Zip let's you create a flash able zip of your apps so you don't have to use Titanium Backup. I have TiBu Pro and App2Zip Pro and I use App2Zip way more

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
In my search for a PC program that would perform like root explorer, I found the perfect program, ALMOST!:mad: Named Android Commander, it uses a two pane style similar to MS explorer. Problem is, it doesn't recognize soft root, developer apparently gave some tips how to change code in your phone's rom to make a hard root, and now the Android Commander website is down!! Talk about getting the ball to the 1 yrd lne and then fumbling! If anyone knows of a PC based app of this sort, please let me know. These old eyes are struggling w/ the phone screen for any amount of time. Or then again, I could invest in a BT keyboard/mouse, and throw it all up on the big screen in the man cave!!:biggrin: