what to do?

5w3d15h

Reaction score
i don't know why, but i clicked check for system update, and being on .340, it of course wants me to go to .596, and i don't know what to do. I'm (z4) rooted, stock rom, and definitely don't want to lose root, so should i find the two file .596 rooted update (or ask for a link), or just go to cm7 and get the all in one fix? when i tried gb on the d1, i really didn't like the look or feel of it, but it seems i'll have to get used to it one way or another on the dx.

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want...SBF back to .340 and root, stick with 2.3.3 unrooted, get the rooted 2.3.3 leak and stay on that....etc etc. If you want good performance, battery life, and customization options, try Liberty GB. Good performance and battery life, Apex 2.0. Good performance and customization, and so-so battery life, CM4DX. Or, try them all. Worst thing that can happen is you don't like something, so then you have to try something else, or SBF back to Froyo.

jasonD

Reaction score
Im in the same boat. I Like what i have now. So do we unroot, update, then go back to. 340 the reroot? If so how do u go back after u updated?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Here is a good tutorial on how to SBF your phone to .340, root it and update it to rooted .596, then install the Liberty ROM. If you don't want the Liberty ROM, just don't install the LGB zip at the end.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...-1-stock-apex-cm7-etc-any-rom-liberty-gb.html

I recommend the Liberty ROM because of its ease of use, customization options and the fact that it enables every piece of hardware on your phone (lookin' at you, HDMI.) If you don't like it, you can always follow the same instructions to SBF back to .340 and stop at data wipe/factory reset and take a different path from there (install a FroYo ROM, or go to rooted GB and install Apex instead, etc.)

jasonD

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I think i will work on this over the weekend. So using the back up program will save all my apps? Also when i go through this process i will still be able to wireless tether for free? I notice the wireless tether app i use is no longer available in the marketplace so i dont want to lose that app off my phone.

Reaction score
You have to download Android Tether (google it) and set the device profile to Droid X. If that doesn't work, there's a TBH Tether Patch somewhere (you'd have to find that as well) to flash on your phone in order to have tethering.

jasonD

Reaction score
ok, so I have downloaded most of the files that I will need to do this process, except for Liberty GB. Where do I find this for download? So if I install Titanium backup that will save all my data, ie contacts and apps? I'm not familiar with this yet, so does it save it online somewhere?

FantomPhlasher

Reaction score
My X also was attempting to force me to VRZ_MB810_4.5.596 but I caught it at 76% and a quick airplane mode held it there until I found my way to /system/app/BlurUpdater.apk.

I'll wait until the dust settles before continuing with the update.

jasonD

Reaction score
So deleting the blur file will delete the update? I havent wiped my phone yet, and id rather not do all that work. But those warnings asking to update are getting annoying.

FantomPhlasher

Reaction score
I didn't delete the file. It probably will be needed when the update is wanted. I renamed it to BlurUpdater.apk.bak and this stopped the download.

Remember, my phone was in the process of downloading the update and renaming the file prevents the download from completing. When I check for updates I get the following dialogue box...

"An update is currently being downloaded. You will be notified when the download is complete."

My phone is functioning normally under .340

Remember to restart the phone to kill the currently loaded task.

jasonD

Reaction score
Well it downloaded and wants to install. Im still running. 340 and its running fine. I wonder what would happen if i install the update while im rooted. Will it fail or lose my root or what?

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
Well it downloaded and wants to install. Im still running. 340 and its running fine. I wonder what would happen if i install the update while im rooted. Will it fail or lose my root or what?

You would lose root. The only way to be on stock GB rooted, is to flash the pre-rooted release. But you can just let it install, SBF back to Froyo, then root and flash the pre-rooted .596 GB.