What to do when I get my phone??

Alfie213

Reaction score
So my phone was shipped yesterday, and just left New Jersey today. When it gets here what do I do? Do I turn it on and set it up first? Or do I bring it straight to Verizon to get my contacts put on it first?

I figure I should get it, charge it fully, then insert my micro SD card, turn ol girl on, set it up. THEN take it to Verizon to get the contacts from my Dare transferred over.

INCREDIBLE!!!

This should be the Incredible theme song....
[video=youtube;OLciuIOJZ4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLciuIOJZ4o]YouTube - Mickey Factz- Incredible[/video]

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since it isn't here yet let's make sure we understand what we are getting. You realize you have a google phone, correct? So your contacts should go to your gmail. If you have Verizon do it, make sure that they sync to your gmail account. If you don't have a gmail account, might as well set it up because you are going to need one.

I think with the Incredible you can actually import your contacts via the web through Verizon's back up if you have that set up on your current phone.

OP
A

Alfie213

Reaction score
So you're saying to set the phone up first then bring it to Verizon. You barely answered my question...

bje1982

Reaction score
Just so you know you should drain the battery before you plug it in for the first time.

I would follow the instructions on activating your phone, then set up your gmail or just sign in if you already have one. Then go to Verizon and have the info swapped over and like Hook said make sure that the rep turns your sync on so that all your contacts get backed up to google.

Edit: wow that nerd can flow !!! lol no offense lol

Last edited:

kmo

Reaction score
Do you have a Google account? If you do your contacts will automatically load, you just have to sign in to Google. If you don't have an account set one up for sure. No need to go into the VZW store to set up your phone. The instructions that are outlined on the activation page you get are very easy to do from your home. Turn off the old phone first. As far as battery goes it's fine to turn on and set up, definitely give it a full charge right off to start. I don't pay much attention to all the conditioning (opinions are a dime a dozen) when it comes to what you should do. I charged mine, discharged it after the first charge and that's it. The lithium-Ion batteries don't need all this conditioning that some recommend. Enjoy....

bje1982

Reaction score
Do you have a Google account? If you do your contacts will automatically load, you just have to sign in to Google. If you don't have an account set one up for sure. No need to go into the VZW store to set up your phone. The instructions that are outlined on the activation page you get are very easy to do from your home. Turn off the old phone first. As far as battery goes it's fine to turn on and set up, definitely give it a full charge right off to start. I don't pay much attention to all the conditioning (opinions are a dime a dozen) when it comes to what you should do. I charged mine, discharged it after the first charge and that's it. The lithium-Ion batteries don't need all this conditioning that some recommend. Enjoy....

You are correct actually I looked into it and I am wrong, you should plug it in and give it a full charge right away, (about 4-6 hours).

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Its hard to answer your question without more info on what you're transferring from.

1.assuming you had a traditional phone before, htc mad hows the transition of contacts easy because sense had VZW'S BACKUP ASSISTANT.
2. My wife had a blackberry so we had to get her contacts to google.

Once your contacts are in google it's easy. Simply a matter of setting up your gmail.

Everything syncs wirelessly.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
VZW website has backup asistant on it. You could do it all yourself right online,no need to go to verizon. What everyone here is trying to tell you, is that android is a google phone,and you will need a google account(gmail). If you don't have one,you can set one up very easily. You could even set up your gmail,then manually load your contacts into your gmail account while you're waiting for the phone to arrive,and when it does - just turn it on,log in to your account,and it will automatically sync all your contacts - eliminating verizon all together!
Once your account is set up with google, everything from then on will sync automatically. Every new contact,email,etc... very cool stuff.

OP
A

Alfie213

Reaction score
Yeah I have a GMail account, but honestly never use it. I only set it up for a school project a few years ago. So there are no contacts on there at all. I have an LG Dare. So this backup assistant thing works well? Better than going to Verizon an just having them do it?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you are using Verizon's backup assistance, which I was with my last phone (not a smart phone) you can export your contact to a csv file. Google's contacts let you import your contacts from the same file format. Then all your contacts will be in your gmail account. Add a contact on the web and it shows up on your phone. Delete one from your phone and it is gone off the web. They will be in sync with each other. You can let the store do this, or you can do it yourself.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Yeah I have a GMail account, but honestly never use it. I only set it up for a school project a few years ago. So there are no contacts on there at all. I have an LG Dare. So this backup assistant thing works well? Better than going to Verizon an just having them do it?

BA is great. It's all i had before my droid and not hard to set up.

But if you think you might make a mistake get a latte, go to the store and let them do everything. Why give yourself an unnecessary headache.

We have the best network but it ain't cheap.

Put those reps to work and leave the store with a setup phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just so you know you should drain the battery before you plug it in for the first time.

No, no, no....That probably won't harm the battery but it's definitely something I would not recommend.

Today's lithium batteries only need to get a charge until they are at 100% They cannot be overcharged so if you want to leave it in all night that is fine but draining the battery before the firs t charge. Not a good idea at all.

You can pretty much charge them whenever you have an opportunity. There is no reason to discharge a lithium battery, matter of fact with the Droid it shouts off at 5%.

I have read that some manufacturers advise this maybe 2 or 3 times a year but never to start out a battery. Always fully charge it firs.

OP
A

Alfie213

Reaction score

BA is great. It's all i had before my droid and not hard to set up.

But if you think you might make a mistake get a latte, go to the store and let them do everything. Why give yourself an unnecessary headache.

We have the best network but it ain't cheap.

Put those reps to work and leave the store with a setup phone.
I set up my back up assistant last night. So I think I'm all backed up on on Verizon. It really doesn't sound hard to set up. Turn on phone sign in to GMail, download backup assistant, import contacts, Win