what to do when Droid goes black...and i'm on the phone?

luvtype

Reaction score
This happened to me twice today. The first time i was on hold for a long time (tech support, non-Droid related)... by the time the party came to talk to me, the Droid had blacked out and I didn't know what to do. Fortunately, i had put the speaker on earlier, so was able to carry on a conversation. But I couldn't see anything, no controls, nothing, it was as if the front panel had gone dead.

How to prevent this, and what to do when it happens to "wake" it up?

The next time it happened was when i was leaving a voice message. in the middle, the front panel again went black and I had no way of turning the call off. Just for the heck of it, i pressed the power button on top, and it actually turned the front panel on again, and i was able to end the call.

So it this what one has to do? I was afraid to touch the power button in the earlier call for fear that I would turn everything off.

Most grateful if someone could explain how this works, or if this behavior is evidence of something that's faulty, or broken, or not working as it should.

Thanks!

Tj

shamus

Reaction score
It's a well-known problem.
Just be glad your power button turned your screen button back on.
Sometimes mine won't come back at all.
I'm really hoping this is addressed in the update.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
Isn't it suppose to do that to save the battery? I just hit my power button to turn the screen back on.

Sleeve

Reaction score
There's also a proximity sensor that shuts off the screen so that your cheek doesn't push buttons while you're talking. If you cover that while you pull the phone away from your face, the sensor has no way to know to turn the screen back on.

sterdroids

Reaction score
Or you get a new device if 12/11 doesnt fix it. Why do you have to hit a button the proximity sensor should know you took your face a way from the device imho

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
If you download screebl it can be used to keep your screen on during a call. I was happy that they recently added an option to allow you to turn off screebl during a call so it will black out the screen and save battery life, but you can do just the opposite to get what you want.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
<Yeah, do some reading before you QQ, all modern phones do that.>

oh please, i hate when people respond like that. If it's too much trouble for you to respond, or if this issue is beneath you, then save your input for worthier causes. But please, spare me the condescending tone. FYI: i've been doing A LOT of reading, and from my reading i see that this is an issue that many people are having problems with. And everyone's problem varies with their particular usage. And not all solutions work. I didn't see any posting for my particular situation, which is why i queried this forum. Hopefully, someone with a similar problem will be helped by it.

Last edited:
OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
<same here. Just a short press on the power/sleep button.> ;)

I wasn't sure if hitting the sleep button might turn the phone (ongoing call) off too. This is not an intuitive thing. When my laptop goes to sleep, i can't do anything, like make calls, until i wake it up.

So thanks for confirming that that's what one is supposed to do, very good to know.

Last edited:

samredman

Reaction score
All those techniques work when then do, but when they don't.... well you are left with trying to press the power button and taking your hand (and face) off of what might be some kind of a hidden sensor, but then after all that you still may have a black screen. A few times everything has frozen and I just did the battery remove.

I think that maybe the problem may be coming from conflicting apps which aren't really programmed correctly, but who really knows? I love the Droid and am happy to work along with the various flaws, because I know about the risks of using beta-like new products. The open nature of this product and the prospect of updates means that it will get better and better and that's what keeps me a Droid fan.

Realistically, you might have to put up with some of these problems until even a second upgrade. I have seen it on other breakthrough products over the years (being an early adopter has its travails, but I think it's worth it for the fun of being on the leading edge).

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
If you download screebl it can be used to keep your screen on during a call. I was happy that they recently added an option to allow you to turn off screebl during a call so it will black out the screen and save battery life, but you can do just the opposite to get what you want.

Hadn't heard of screeble. Will check it out. Thanks.

cisco0910

Reaction score
Yea people keep saying all u gotta do is hit the top sleep button or it has a sensor thatll detect when ur face is removed. I got two things about, sometimes the top sleep button wont do anything and itll remain black so i gotta wait for the other person to hang up. Second, i use the speaker mode alot and when i dont when i remove my face from the phone the screen will come up to end the call but on more then one occassion the screen appeared for only like half a second. So if i wasnt quick enough to hit the end call button the screen obviously remaoned black. And no the top wake button doesnt wake it alot of times