What to do....what to do.....dying for Droid X

Scoot95

Reaction score
I am a new user to these boards. I just came across them and I have to say I am very impressed.

I am currently eligible for an upgrade with the new every two plan. (Technically my upgrade date is 1/8/11, but they are letting me do it a month early) I have done a lot of research and I have settled on the Droid X (my BB Storm bricked :icon_evil: and I am using a 4 year old LG Chocolate now).

Here is my dilemma:

I am not exactly rolling in money, so to me the $300 initial outlay is a bit steep (even though I know I will get $100 of it back after a couple of months). I know none of you can tell the future, but can you see it dropping in price in the next couple of weeks due to the holiday season? Have phone prices dropped around this time in prior years?

As mentioned above, my actual date to upgrade is 1/8/11, so I can’t buy it yet through a third party (e.g. Amazon, Wirefly). Normally I would wait to buy it from a third party (although I am the type when I want something very bad I must have it then and there..LOL), but this date is after the promotion Verizon is running of having the free talk on a second smart phone for two years (ends on 1/6/11).

So here are my options as I see it: (a) suck it up and buy the phone now, (b) wait and pray the price on Verizon’s website goes down before 1/6/11, or (c) wait and buy it from a third party after 1/8/11 (even though I would miss out on the promotion).

Any advice or is there perhaps an option d?

Thank you so much for reading and I will see you around more after I become the proud owner of a Droid X.

musicman

Reaction score
First, you have made a wise decision in choosing the DX.
If you can handle the wait I would recommend doing so and getting it 3rd party for the better price. However, I got this phone the day it came out so I would understand if you can't wait. Given the other wise decision you have made I'm sure you will do the right thing:)
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Cunha

Reaction score
A verizon rep can skip the mail in rebate for you so you don't have to loan them 100 dollars. But for a single phone I think the amazonwireless deal is the best at 120 dollars.

fpatano

Reaction score
I am a new user to these boards. I just came across them and I have to say I am very impressed.

I am currently eligible for an upgrade with the new every two plan. (Technically my upgrade date is 1/8/11, but they are letting me do it a month early) I have done a lot of research and I have settled on the Droid X (my BB Storm bricked :icon_evil: and I am using a 4 year old LG Chocolate now).

Here is my dilemma:

I am not exactly rolling in money, so to me the $300 initial outlay is a bit steep (even though I know I will get $100 of it back after a couple of months). I know none of you can tell the future, but can you see it dropping in price in the next couple of weeks due to the holiday season? Have phone prices dropped around this time in prior years?

As mentioned above, my actual date to upgrade is 1/8/11, so I can’t buy it yet through a third party (e.g. Amazon, Wirefly). Normally I would wait to buy it from a third party (although I am the type when I want something very bad I must have it then and there..LOL), but this date is after the promotion Verizon is running of having the free talk on a second smart phone for two years (ends on 1/6/11).

So here are my options as I see it: (a) suck it up and buy the phone now, (b) wait and pray the price on Verizon’s website goes down before 1/6/11, or (c) wait and buy it from a third party after 1/8/11 (even though I would miss out on the promotion).

Thank you so much for reading and I will see you around more after I become the proud owner of a Droid X.

I feel you about the price, that is why I decided to get a Certified Used one from Verizon for 150, with no Rebate BS, with your new every two you could get it for 100 or 50 depending on your version. My Certified Used one is running great, no problems with it.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I don't understand the $300 initial outlay that you mention. Am I missing something?

I just upgraded (using my wifes new every two) to the Droid X ("certified pre-owned") for $99 through the VZW website. The new non-pre-owned would have been $150.

How come you're having to dish out $300?

edit: P.S. the "certified-preowned" phone looks like brand new. I wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't been the one who bought it.

fpatano

Reaction score

Here is my dilemma:

I just checked today and its only 99 bucks for the used one!

OP
S

Scoot95

Reaction score
A verizon rep can skip the mail in rebate for you so you don't have to loan them 100 dollars. But for a single phone I think the amazonwireless deal is the best at 120 dollars.

I tried calling the rep and they said they couldn't do this for the Droid phones. I had her talk to a Manager. She did say she would be able to take 1 month off of the talk price of the primary line ($60).

Therefore, I would be able to get a new Droid X for $240 out of pocket with $100 coming back to me in the form of a mail in rebate ($140 net price which is cheaper than the $150 for a refurbished model). I will wait over the weekend and see if it drops in price and if not, I think I will jump on this deal. Still a bit too pricey, but I am itching to get one real bad.

fpatano - The $99 price is for the regular Droid. The droid X is still $149.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Horch it

Reaction score
question: will you really miss the difference in cash not saved if you do it now coupled with, hey, I get to use my new droid x now?

Taber76

Reaction score
Something else you might want to try is going to an authorized retailer. There are usually retailers that offer deals that differ from what corporate stores can offer. Some also provide instant rebates, and then you take the rebate card to them when you receive it. That was the case when I got my X. They also had a 50% off sale so I got mine for $110, I'm a lucky man.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App