What to do once rooted?

DrewRus

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've been searching around these forums for a while and finally took the plunge and rooted my droid. I mainly did it for the free wifi tether (actually the ONLY reason i've done it this far, being that i dont know what else to do.)

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Basically I want to get into doing some more advanced things but I have no idea where to start. I see so many threads about different mods / roms / whatever and I feel like i'm reading a foreign language.

My first question is: after I root, WHAT DO I DO!!!??? My main concern is safety. I keep seeing people talk about bootstraps / safestraps / sbf's and all this stuff that basically you NEED to have or else you could damage your phone horribly!

Could someone just give me a brief explanation on what each of those things are and how to use them? I'm sorry for being such a noob but I'm so excited to start doing things on my phone but first and foremost i want to be safe!

Again guys I'm sorry if this is alot to ask but ANY input would be so greatly appreciated! I want to open my eyes to the world of rooted droids and i dont know where to start!!!! Please help me!!!

tl;dr: read bold please!!!!!

Last edited:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

First thing you should do is make a stock backup now that you are rooted - you will do this with the Razr Bootstrap app (it is not in the market but I will locate a link for you). You will install this .apk (make sure you have allow unknown sources select in phone settings, apps, top choice) and then when you open this app, you will tap "bootstrap recovery" grant superuser permissions and then ok and then click reboot recovery.

Bootstrap allows you to make a copy of your system as it is at that point in time - it will duplicate everything from system apps/data to what you have downloaded on the phone (it does not back up the SD card). This backup will allow you the chance to restore this backup should you make a mod that you do not like or maybe isn't functioning like it should.

Safestrap is along those lines as well although I have not messed with it enough to give you any advice.

SBF / FXZ is a set of files that when used properly will restore your phone to "out of the box" ready - these generally are used if you need to have a clean system to possibly return a damaged phone to VZW.

In addition to all of this info - I would definitely read up on everything in the development area...then once you feel comfortable move into the next steps...