What to do next?

gotbst05

Reaction score
So, I've rooted and I've overclocked... what should I do next? I'm open to suggestions. It's becoming fun for a motor head/boost guru to do tech stuff... lol!

I'm not looking to upgrade to 2.2 until it's actually available. Looking to do something like the HTC Incredible screen or a dock like the iPhone

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Honestly....go for 2.2. It's very stable, very fast and has some neat features.
Bluetooth voice dialing
ChromeToPhone (app and PC browser plugin)
Flash
USB tethering
FAST

Make a backup of your current system so you can always go back.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
wi fi tethering via app, you can install if you go to a rooted froyo.

OP
gotbst05

gotbst05

Reaction score
i've already set up the tethering as well. sorry, meant to add that to the list.

mrgoochio

Reaction score
i've already set up the tethering as well. sorry, meant to add that to the list.

I suppose this is a little off topic, but does the native browser on the phone support livestream/ustream/blip? If not, is there any support for sound via tethering to use your PC's browser to stream the video/audio to your phone? Curious if wifi streaming will be fast enough for watchable framerates + sound capabilities. AFAIK, sound isn't available yet..

In the market for one of these cool phones dancedroid

myriad46

Reaction score

I suppose this is a little off topic, but does the native browser on the phone support livestream/ustream/blip? If not, is there any support for sound via tethering to use your PC's browser to stream the video/audio to your phone? Curious if wifi streaming will be fast enough for watchable framerates + sound capabilities. AFAIK, sound isn't available yet..

In the market for one of these cool phones dancedroid

There's a Ustream App.

OP
gotbst05

gotbst05

Reaction score
htc-incredible-verizon.jpg

i want my dock to look like that :icon_ banana:

OP
gotbst05

gotbst05

Reaction score
Honestly....go for 2.2. It's very stable, very fast and has some neat features.
Bluetooth voice dialing
ChromeToPhone (app and PC browser plugin)
Flash
USB tethering
FAST

Make a backup of your current system so you can always go back.

i'm looking at going to 2.2 now, but I can't find a OEM (if you will) Froyo 2.2

all i can find is ROMs like Bugless Beast. i'm not looking for a personalized version of it, just the plain Froyo 2.2

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
i'm looking at going to 2.2 now, but I can't find a OEM (if you will) Froyo 2.2

all i can find is ROMs like Bugless Beast. i'm not looking for a personalized version of it, just the plain Froyo 2.2

Easy, download Rom Manager if you don't have it already. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.

The select Download Rom, Stock Images, Verizon Froyo 2.2 Leak and you are good to go.

Has the wi-fi fix, 600 or 800mhz kernal so everything is ready.

(edit) make sure to WIPE and do a Backup since you will be changing from a 2.1 Rom to a 2.2 Rom. You need to wipe to clear out the old OS and a backup in case you want to recover back to what you are running now.

OP
gotbst05

gotbst05

Reaction score
awesome! it didn't realize that it was going to be that easy. i already have sprecovery installed, will installing clockworkmod recovery cause any issues or will doing a "wipe clean" take care of that?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery with Rom Manager will replace SPRecovery so no problems there...and the ClockworkMod does all the work for the images (roms) you download with Rom Manager.

The Wipe will erase everything off the phone so when it boots up you will have to log in to your gmail account again and it'll start pulling down your contacts and such...

Takes a good 30-45 minutes after boot for the phone to feel normal again when going from 2.1 to 2.2

Just log in and set it down...come back later.

Rom Manager makes things crazy easy....you can swap roms, kernals, etc... while sitting at McDonalds eating lunch if you want. It has a respository of those using it for delivery, so many Roms to choose from (paid version) and you can flash Roms, Kernals, updates, etc...without renaming them to update.zip like SPRecovery requires.
It'll download the Rom, wipe (if you want) and backup (if you want) your system and then install it. You never have to boot into recovery manually, etc...

OP
gotbst05

gotbst05

Reaction score
well... i went to install the p3 kernel using clockworkrecovery and now it's stuck on the boot screen. any suggestions? i've tried taking out the battery and rebooting it in recovery mode using the power button and
"X", but nothing. it just keeps going back to the boot screen and it stays there forever.... what do i do?

(edit) i am to get it to the bootloader screen, but that's it... any suggestion still?

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Yeah...I don't think P3 has his Froyo kernals up on Rom Manager.

Here is the kernal I use.... Download it and put it on your SD Card, boot into Recovery and install it, you do not need to rename it update.zip.....just select the name.

http://www.tomcrews.com/stuff/1.2-v32kernel.zip

You may have to take your SDcard out of your phone and put it in your computer (card reader I hope....) and copy the file to the card and then put back in your phone.

Otherwise....in ClockworkMod Recovery, just re-install the rom of 2.2. Install....browse to clockworkmod, downloads and then I'm not sure which folder. That will reinstall the 2.2 with it's default kernal.

OP
gotbst05

gotbst05

Reaction score
i got it!! i reflashed sprecovery to the phone via rsdlite and restored my unrooted 2.1 backup... everything is good to go now! lesson learned... do not try to install a kernel from p3droid using an update.zip file already saved on on sdcard

just so that everyone who is reading this know, it was to no fault of the 2.2 upgrade that gave me the issue. it was my own fault using an update.zip file to reinstall a p3 kernel instead of going through ROM manager. if for some reason, you get stuck on the boot loader screen, send me a PM and i'll try to walk you through it using my experience and the help of tcrews. whatever you do, make sure that you have a copy of the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf file saved to the root of your computers "C:" and that you have RDSLite installed on your computer.

Last edited:

wingdo

Reaction score
(edit) make sure to WIPE and do a Backup since you will be changing from a 2.1 Rom to a 2.2 Rom. You need to wipe to clear out the old OS and a backup in case you want to recover back to what you are running now.

Just checking, when the official 2.2 comes out, the wipe will not be necessary correct? I am trying to determine if I want to wait for stock FroYo or if I want the leaked one. The 800 MHz kernel is the one reason I'd go to it.

Will ColckworkMod eventually have a stock 2.2 with the overclocked kernel available or will it just be custom ROMs?