What to do about this cursed phone

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I got my GN from Costco on February 6th. Its been a pain in my arse constantly losing signal. I exchanged it yesterday for a brand new one. Same problems today, even worse. Calls going to voicemail, can't get online, ect. I could have gotten a nexus with shotty service with T-Mobile years ago.

I talked to Verizon and they said it was the device.

Called Costco, they said they will give me another one or give me a razr or bionic.

I don't want a locked phone. I really want to love this phone. I think I might just try another one and hope third times a charm.

Note: first time I tried submitting this post I had no service so had to rewrite it. Getting frustrated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Some folks for some reason don't have good luck with these devices. Samsung isn't exactly known for having the best radios in their devices, but it seems that some unlucky few catch the extreme end of the situation.

Perhaps you can get a Rezound?

OP
Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I'll check it out since HTC unlocked all their boot loaders

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does seem like people in certain locations just can't get the phone to keep a connection, which is a shame. If you can, wait until the OTA update 4.04, should be out within 10 days and many have seen signal improvements. I haven't had any signal issues at all so I haven't jumped on 4.04 yet or I'd tell you to try the new radios out.

If you don't feel like waiting, I'd say go for the Rezound. It's a great device, very nice screen and HTC is unlocking bootloaders.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got my GN from Costco on February 6th. Its been a pain in my arse constantly losing signal. I exchanged it yesterday for a brand new one. Same problems today, even worse. Calls going to voicemail, can't get online, ect. I could have gotten a nexus with shotty service with T-Mobile years ago.

I talked to Verizon and they said it was the device.

Called Costco, they said they will give me another one or give me a razr or bionic.

I don't want a locked phone. I really want to love this phone. I think I might just try another one and hope third times a charm.

Note: first time I tried submitting this post I had no service so had to rewrite it. Getting frustrated.

I had to do a hard reset just 6hrs ago.Some of the same issues your having,Im also having.Tech gonna call me back,to see if it gets better,but gonna wait for update.Hope everything works out for you though.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does seem like people in certain locations just can't get the phone to keep a connection, which is a shame. If you can, wait until the OTA update 4.04, should be out within 10 days and many have seen signal improvements. I haven't had any signal issues at all so I haven't jumped on 4.04 yet or I'd tell you to try the new radios out.

If you don't feel like waiting, I'd say go for the Rezound. It's a great device, very nice screen and HTC is unlocking bootloaders.
Glad to hear update should be out within 10 days. DancingNexus

HikenGruven

Reaction score
If you can, wait until the OTA update 4.04, should be out within 10 days and many have seen signal improvements.

Seriously? I'm expecting it soon, but that is the first specific thing I've heard other than "February" or "March"

prey

Reaction score
I too seem to be having probelms with my Nexus.
Most noticably is that I will be talking on the phone and suddenly the other person can not hear anything I say.

Also it seems that one minute I will have full service (bars) and then I none.

** Im not sure what the colors of the bars mean.. usually they are blue. As soon as I hit send (to call) they all go grey.
(there are also 2 little arrows on the bars that point up and down.. dont know what they are for either)

I dont have 4G where I live so Ive turned LTE off... but.. I dont really see any difference as far as phone quality/signal or microphone issues.

that being said.. has anyone figured out if this is supposedly a hardware or software issue? Is it worth exchanging for a another Nexus or should I just wait for 4.04?

I just got my phone last week.

thanks.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
** Im not sure what the colors of the bars mean.. usually they are blue. As soon as I hit send (to call) they all go grey.
(there are also 2 little arrows on the bars that point up and down.. dont know what they are for either)

I dont have 4G where I live so Ive turned LTE off... but.. I dont really see any difference as far as phone quality/signal or microphone issues.

Blue bars means your phone is connected to Google's servers. Grey means disconnected from Google. Usually grey bars indicate no data, but technically that isn't always true. A limitation of most CDMA devices is that you can't talk on the phone and use 3G data simultaneously. So when you are on a phone call, it would make sense that you would lose connection with Google. I am not sure if the images are supposed to change though. The

The two arrows are to show data transfer, in and out (or upload and download if you prefer), of your device over whatever network you are using.

I haven't seen a lot of people having issues with mics, but then again I am pretty bad at checking the "bad news" threads. I would probably try and get an exchange in this situation.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Blue bars means your phone is connected to Google's servers. Grey means disconnected from Google. Usually grey bars indicate no data, but technically that isn't always true. A limitation of most CDMA devices is that you can't talk on the phone and use 3G data simultaneously. So when you are on a phone call, it would make sense that you would lose connection with Google.

Just curious where did you get the info about blue equals connected to Google's servers specifically? So if it says 3g grey I have data just not connected to Google?

Oct

Reaction score
I have the same problem as Prey with my Nexus ... i have had it replaced once and wouldnt you know same problem .... So as i try to remain faithful to the Nexus if I cannot talk on the phone what good is this so called phone.... I wish they would just fix the problem or be honest and let people Know they are trying...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Just curious where did you get the info about blue equals connected to Google's servers specifically? So if it says 3g grey I have data just not connected to Google?

Sorry I missed these questions.

Network status icons turn green if you have a Google Account added to your phone and the phone is connected to Google services, for syncing your Gmail, Calendar events, contacts, for backing up your settings, and so on. If you don’t have a Google Account or if, for example, you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network that is not connected to the Internet, the network icons are white.

^ from page 27 of the Gingerbread user guide . Android 2.3 - Google Mobile Help I assume the same basic idea works in every OS since 2.3 as well, with blue instead of green and grey instead of white. I glanced through the ICS user guide and didn't see it mentioned, but it was a quick scan and definitely could have missed it.