What the *@/# is this? You must first turn off screen overlay??

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This is fricken driving me crazy and happens for almost every thing I try to do on my N5 but can't figure out how to make the requested changes. The latest example below (which is something I've done a million times with no problem)...

1. I want to save a pic from chrome. This is what I get when I try to save it. Oh gee, now the same thing is happening here because I'm trying to include the screen shot and it won't let me. I'm ready to scream! Trying to add a pic from my gallery I get a pop-up saying, "Allow tapatalk to access photos, media, and files on your device."
2. I select "Allow" and I get a "Screen Overlay Detected" pop-up with instructions "to change this permission setting, you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings>Apps."
3. I select "open settings" from this pop-up and it takes me to a settings, "Draw over other apps" with a list of apps that you can turn on or off the overlay. Of course, neither Chrome or tapatalk is on this list.
4. Because there is nothing I can do, and it doesn't matter if I try to change every setting listed there, I back out of those settings and I get a tapatalk pop-up saying "to share and save photos and other sources, please grant us write and read in storage permission."
5. I select the option, "grant" which then takes me to tapatalk's application settings yet when I try to select to allow storage permissions (or any permissions), I get the stupid, blasted, idiotic, swear word, swear word, "Screen Overlay Detected" pop-up.
6. And stuck in a vicious cycle with no way out.

I'm super frustrated! HELP!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I literally can do nothing because that pop-up cycle keeps happening. I now can't even add my own wallpaper to my Lucid Launcher home launcher.

jplemt

Reaction score
If you have an app like twilight or back button, it needs to be disabled in that menu in order to change permissions. The system does this to prevent an app from granting permissions without user intervention. It could be any number of apps that have this problem. It's not the app you are using, ie chrome, but another app installed that has permission to be on top of your screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks jplemt! I am going to have to get rid of any recently added apps and see if that solves the problem.

jplemt

Reaction score
If you remember any of them asking for permission to be on top, I'd start there. Sometimes the so called "support" apps installed by the carrier can be the culprits too.

jplemt

Reaction score
And you can go to applications> manage applications, and click the more button and selectively turn off the apps under the May appear on top menu. Instead of completely uninstalling.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And you can go to applications> manage applications, and click the more button and selectively turn off the apps under the May appear on top menu. Instead of completely uninstalling.

I actually tried to do that for all apps listed but still had same problem. And then when I went back again, they reverted back to on, apparently a default setting for those apps? I'll keep playing with it a little later to see what happens.

Thanks again! Your information is helping me understand what might be going on.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, that was difficult! I found the offending app (one of my favorites, my Start Menu app). Very odd that I've used this app for years with no problems but it seemed to be the fix.

On a positive note... Due to the process of figuring this out, I did get rid of many unused apps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Apps get updated and functionality and permissions change. It's quite possible this changed with an update.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Apps get updated and functionality and permissions change. It's quite possible this changed with an update.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I did start there, getting rid of recently added or updated apps. The SmartMenu app has not received updates for many months because it is no longer supported. I'm thinking it might be on it's way too being incompatible.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did start there, getting rid of recently added or updated apps. The SmartMenu app has not received updates for many months because it is no longer supported. I'm thinking it might be on it's way too being incompatible.

I seem to recall this scenario in another thread recently and it was a setting in Chrome that was causing theirs. To solve it you typed in some weird code like address and it'd turn it off. That's all I remember though.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I seem to recall this scenario in another thread recently and it was a setting in Chrome that was causing theirs. To solve it you typed in some weird code like address and it'd turn it off. That's all I remember though.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
It's rather crazy because from what I was reading in another forum about this issue, there were several very different solutions that people found that worked. None of their solutions worked for me though.

cllark1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Whenever trying to change permissions in several apps I would get screen overlay detected error. I tried several of the options above without success. I finally stumbled into my apus launcher settings . I started turning off different options and checking Facebook permissions when I turned off free swipe I was able to change permissions without any problems . Apus launcher has a separate settings gear . You must go into those settings to switch the different options.

archigolo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
I have the same problem with my old rom, but after up to date to the lastest Marshmallow, this problem've gone over, no demand at all for the sreen overlay. With nougat, no problem. i think because of your rom's version