What the HELL is with the dust specks under the glass???

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just be glad it's not a storm, my 2nd storm of 4 looked like this after 2 weeks, and yes that's all under the screen.

IMG00003-20090413-1654.jpg
thats what ticked me off about RIM and why they will never get another dime from me. I never owned the Storm but for people to spend their hard earned $$$ on something and then have this happen was unacceptable and a true testament to the declining build quality and poor materials RIM was using.

Then they did it again with the Tour (faulty trackballs.)

Never again.......

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Now youre making me want to check my screen.

But I wont. I am happy with my droid phone

adam8ch

Reaction score
Seems this is a common problem with all smartphones. BBs, iPhones, etc.

serialtoon

Reaction score
Posts like these really make me wonder. Am I missing something? I have no idea what you are talking about.

This, the Wifi, the GPS.. all these issues people are naming just make me shake my head. I have NONE of these issues. Am I lucky or is everyone else crazy?

-Wil
You arent lucky, cause i have zero issues as well. But what you have to understand is that there are more people that join foums to complain about problems than there are to praise it. This is why it seems like there are more issues than anything else.

RosarioM

Reaction score
I am on my second phone because of this issue. Actually, I had swapped my original for my wife's because I had a tiny scratch on the metal. My wife's phone was in my pocket one day and got a single dust particle. I immediately went to the Verizon store to swap it out. They looked at me like I was nuts, but they swapped it. My argument was that if one particle can get in, so can others.

I have since switched back to my original with the dent because it was in my pocket for 5 days and didn't have the dust issue (yet). I think it's inevitable though and because this phone is pretty complicated to take apart:Motorola Droid Teardown - iFixit, I don't think I will want to disassemble it to fix it in the future.

This is not a Droid-only issue. iPhones, HTCs, Samsung, others all have this problem. It just seems that some are better sealed than others. I really think all smartphone owners need to make a huge deal about this with whatever device they own so that manufacturers do a better job to ensure this doesn't happen. After all, even though you know it's just dust, but it ends up looking like a dead pixel.

pilot25

Reaction score
I have dust too. Had it in my old BB also. I don't know if I'll swap for my fourth droid.

pilot25

Reaction score
Well, I'm now on number 4. yeah....

They were none to happy about it too. Well, I said I would return it but they were not too keen on that idea either.

ridaz650

Reaction score
i'm also having this issue. when using the phone in direct sunlight i've noticed the specks/dust around the top of the screen under the motorola logo. i dont know if i'll exchange it cause i have no issue's with the phone; but it doesn't distract from using the screen itself & when it's on you dont notice it. i told my sister & she didn't notice it until i said something.

btw; i've kept my phone in a pocket pouch for the first couple weeks & now i'm using a sena case.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Dust....an OCD'er nightmare...

Reaction score
Dust....an OCD'er nightmare...

Amen. I have a couple specs of dust. Called tech. support and gave them the heads up and told them if I noticed more within a week of my 30days ending, then I will return it. He noted it in my profile and said that an exchange would be ready if I noticed more.

FoFa

Reaction score
Guess I am either lucky, or eyes to old to see dust particles.
I have actually had not any problems with my Droid.

thegipper

Reaction score
OMG i just shut my phone down and removed the battery and the part under the battery has a scratch, do you think I can return it?

But seriously, i'd like to see a picture of what you guys are talking about, i've just been examining my phone looking for this and nothing. I use no holster, and just leave it in my pocket. I've also accidentally dropped it a few times already.

Kalvin00

Reaction score
The iPhone has the same problem with dust under the glass. (my iphone has almost always had some dust specs in it. they tend to move around)

It's because the LCD screen isn't glued to the glass...so dust gets in between.

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
I have dust specs too. Sucks because I put the invisible shield on my phone, now I gotta do all that crap again if I exchange it...