What the heck... Droid Incredible has built in tethering????

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by DroidHoff, May 3, 2010.

1. DroidHoff

DroidHoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay so I just read a review online about the 10 ways the new Incredible kills the Iphone and in the review the first thing listed is the ability to tether? Can anyone confirm this? The reviewer states that to enable this feature ypou must go into setting and check the "Enable Broadband Connection" setting and that it gave him the ability to tether and saves him 35 a month cause he can cancel his aircard contract. I would have thought this would have been made quite a big deal on release or at least in this forum! He could totally not know what he is talking about so that's why I'm asking here. Someone please confirm or debunk this!

2. DroidHoff

DroidHoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Incredible does have "built-in" tethering. However, use of the device for tethering requires the user to have a broadband access data plan (i.e. "Mobile Broadband Connect") with Verizon which adds another $30 to a user's bill. If the reviewer is correct about his aircard contract, he can save $5 a month.

4. DroidHoff

DroidHoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay thanks that makes a little more sense! Still I hadn't heard much about this at all when it was released. Sucks they give the Pre owners that feature for free but run it up on us Android users!

5. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    And I can buy a much better house in Oklahoma for the same money I pay in Seattle. But then I'd have to live in Oklahoma. (And yes, I've lived in Oklahoma.)

6. zgrachan

zgrachan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to have the $30 data plan(verizon at least) for the droid anyway. On top of that, if you want a broadband connection for a laptop, you'll need a $35 data plan with an aircard. So tethering is a huge deal. Little upset as I just got my droid a week or two before I heard of the Incredible

7. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So you have (or had) 3 more weeks to return, right?

8. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think if you check the url below you'll understand what's happening. If you want to tether your Incredible it will cost you $25 per month (reduced from $30 "for a limited time.")

So for a device like the Incredible you're paying $30 for the "unlimited data plan" required for all smartphones plus $25 per month for "Mobile Broadband Connect" for up to 5 gigabytes per month tethered to some other device, e.g. a laptop/desktop/etc. In other words, $55-$60 per month.

If you have a netbook/laptop/aircard/etc that acts as a standalone device connected to the internet through the Verizon 3G network, it will cost you $60 ($59.95) per month. This plan also include VZW "hot spot" access, presumably to allow your connection to serve as a hub.

There is, however, both a confusing aspect to all of this and a "gotcha" that isn't clearly spelled out.

The confusing aspect is that Verizon also has a $10 per month (reduced for a limited time from $15) that appears to apply to "Android" devices and provides the same features as the $25/$30 per month plan. This appears to be a plan for non-smartphone Android and BlackBerry devices. As far as I know, however, there are no such animals.

The "gotcha" is that all of these plans put a 5 gigabyte limit on traffic. That is in stark contrast to the "unlimited" data plan you must purchase with any smartphone.

So what it amounts to is that if you DON'T tether your phone, your data access is unlimited. If you DO tether your phone, that access is limited to 5 gigs before additional charges apply. Just how Verizon plans to tell the difference between data being downloaded to a tethered device versus to a standalone device is a matter of conjecture.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans

9. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +3
    When I had my WiMo phones (Moto Q and Samsung Saga) the additional monthly tethering charge was $15.00 on top of the data plan. I think they give you a break (or used to) when you have both on the same line/device.

10. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That's my recollection as well, but it's been awhile. But if you look at the pricing on the website noted above, you'll see that if you're paying the $29.95 unlimited access data plan required for "all" smartphones, you must purchase the more expensive ($25-$30) tethering plan. Very confusing.

11. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36

Right!! Why do Palm Pre users get it for free? Free for them = free for me. Don't shun me because i have a "popular" phone. (i use my tethering and its fair)

12. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    Folks, its 10 or 25 dollars a month, not 30....

I know, still costly, but still. ;)

13. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Why can't I get a Corvette engine in my Malibu? Why can't I get a truck bed in my Corvette?

14. ceh21

ceh21 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, am I correct in thinking that these mobile broadband data plans for "Android phones" for legal/paid tethering from Verizon still does NOT include the Motorola Droid? I thought we would be able to get it in early 2010? I'm confused. :(

15. ceh21

ceh21 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bumpers, any1 know

Search tags for this page
droid incredible free tether
droid incredible tethering
how to tether droid incredible
how to tether htc incredible for free
htc incredible tether

tether droid incredible