What the first thing I should do

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Just ordered my razr maxx yesterday and can't wait to get it. Being on a d1 since it came out this is a huge upgrade. What should I do first? I always loved having a custom ROM, but should I try it out stock first? What everyone's experience at first?

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Just ordered my razr maxx yesterday and can't wait to get it. Being on a d1 since it came out this is a huge upgrade. What should I do first? I always loved having a custom ROM, but should I try it out stock first? What everyone's experience at first?

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

The minute you get it, trade your maxx for my razor. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Be sure and fully charge the unit unless it's already there. Next, chck for an update to the OS and let it install prior to loading any applications. Enjoy the unit the way it is unrooted. If the experience is not good enough for you then by all means root away after reading all there is on rooting of a Rzar Maxx pluses and negatives.

Section_10

Reaction score
Check to see if yours is one of the duds. After being activated and running with latest OTA update .173 Check the standby run time. You'll be fooling around with the phone a ton at first. Download Badass Battery Monitor and check the percentage # when you go to bed, set Manage Apps to all things being set to auto kill after 2 minutes, use Task Manager to kill things. Then sleep. Wake up, compare the number its currently at to what it was when you went to bed. If its dropped more than 10 up to 40-50 then somethings draining the battery like it did on some of my androids. Open Badass Battery Monitor hit settings button then App Sucker and see whats draining. It won't always be obvious whats draining, why I had to send mine back. Between Verizon Location Agent, Social Location, various System apps, Weather, News...etc. You can't control them, they'll run on their own and drain.
Download Angry Birds, see if its glitchy and force pauses... some Motorola units will do this but it hasn't been ruled out to be software itself.
Check for basic glitches...use Bluetooth, Wifi..etc make sure everything works.
Your 14 days will go fast..

OP
Papasmurf

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Check to see if yours is one of the duds. After being activated and running with latest OTA update .173 Check the standby run time. You'll be fooling around with the phone a ton at first. Download Badass Battery Monitor and check the percentage # when you go to bed, set Manage Apps to all things being set to auto kill after 2 minutes, use Task Manager to kill things. Then sleep. Wake up, compare the number its currently at to what it was when you went to bed. If its dropped more than 10 up to 40-50 then somethings draining the battery like it did on some of my androids. Open Badass Battery Monitor hit settings button then App Sucker and see whats draining. It won't always be obvious whats draining, why I had to send mine back. Between Verizon Location Agent, Social Location, various System apps, Weather, News...etc. You can't control them, they'll run on their own and drain.
Download Angry Birds, see if its glitchy and force pauses... some Motorola units will do this but it hasn't been ruled out to be software itself.

Thanks. I will have plenty to do the first couple of days

rdgxray

Reaction score
Mine has the angry bird glitch but will hardly use any charge if I leave it overnight. The angry bird thing only happens once in awhile ...I can live with...charge new phone..update it's software then play with it non stop for a week ...anything deal breaking happens...return it...hopefully everything goes great..enjoy your new phone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I would never root unless you have a specific reason to root. OTA updates will always be more complicated with root. This is especially true for the Razr as it has no "legitimate" way of rooting or unlocking.

I would download the following apps first:

GoLauncher EX
Beautiful Widgets
Android Pro Widgets
Team Battery Bar

If I had my way, these would come pre-installed on every single Android phone manufactured today.

OP
Papasmurf

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Go launcher will definitely be installed first.. My favorite launcher. As well as beautiful widgets. Never use the other but will check out.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Android Pro Widgets includes sense-like widgets for contacts and bookmarks and facebook ect. I actually have the latest version of Sense and I still prefer these. They look very slick and are more functional.

OP
Papasmurf

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Also I think the only reason I would root off the bat is to get rid of all the bloat. Is there a way to do to without root?

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I dont think so, no. On my phone the bloat apps do not have an uninstall option.

And yeah, that would be a good reason to root if you are really annoyed by it. And a lot of people are.

tttbrian

Reaction score

How do you set up auto kill apps every 2 mins? I need to do that because I will kill an app and it opens right back up.

Section_10

Reaction score
How do you set up auto kill apps every 2 mins? I need to do that because I will kill an app and it opens right back up.

Click settings on bottom left of phone. Manage Apps, Click on each app and select for auto kill list.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can get into the manage apps but it doesn't offer me an auto kill list?

Go to the pre-installed "task manager" app. Open that and you will find a place to select apps for auto-kill.