what speeds will 3G phones have on LTE?

yiannis

Reaction score
VZW says that all their existing towers will be LTE by 2013. Will they be backwards compatible with 3G phones like the droid?

Currently it is impossible to test because there are so many 3G towers out there. Will they throttle the 3G connections to force us to upgrade to LTE phones?

Last edited:

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
Why would they throttle 3G when you'll use more bandwidth on LTE? If anything the upgraded network'll make 3G faster and more reliable if everyones on LTE.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
Why would they throttle 3G when you'll use more bandwidth on LTE? If anything the upgraded network'll make 3G faster and more reliable if everyones on LTE.

Well shouldn't 3G phone speeds already be benefiting from the LTE upgrade?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
VZW says that all their existing towers will be LTE by 2013. Will they be backwards compatible with 3G phones like the droid?

Currently it is impossible to test because there are so many 3G towers out there. Will they throttle the 3G connections to force us to upgrade to LTE phones?

No 3g will not be compatible with lte, lte and cdma are two different signals, its like trying to get a tmobile phone to work iv Verizon. Upgrading will kind of be forced because 3g phones will be phased out and all you will be able to buy will be 4g phones sooner or later.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well shouldn't 3G phone speeds already be benefiting from the LTE upgrade?

There isn't an LTE phone even available yet... Air Cards have been using LTE for a bit but that's a different animal.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score

No 3g will not be compatible with lte, lte and cdma are two different signals, its like trying to get a tmobile phone to work iv Verizon. Upgrading will kind of be forced because 3g phones will be phased out and all you will be able to buy will be 4g phones sooner or later.

So if 3G phones won't work on LTE and vice versa, it does not seem plausible that they can phase all their 3G phones with their 2 year contracts by the end of 2013.

One wonders how something like that would even be feasible? Unless they put 3G and LTE cards in the phone, which would not make much sense either

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The new 4g phones have both cdma and lte chips in them so they will work on both systems but eventually vzw will turn off cdma and everyone will be on 4g service.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if 3G phones won't work on LTE and vice versa, it does not seem plausible that they can phase all their 3G phones with their 2 year contracts by the end of 2013.
They're not mutually exclusive as you're assuming them to be.

I mean, you can still use 2G devices on most carriers.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're not mutually exclusive as you're assuming them to be.

I mean, you can still use 2G devices on most carriers.

true, but without an LTE card/chip whatever in the device, a 3g phone won't be able to access the LTE network.... IIRC

big al

Reaction score
only way I see it making a difference is when alot of people go LTE and lighten the load on the 3G network