1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What should our internal storage be at?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Jim 777, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I know that it's going to be different for everyone but I've always had around 90-110mb of free space available. Maybe a week ago I noticed I had 72mb of free space and today it's down to 65mb. I have not installed any new apps so I'm wondering, what's eating up all the space? I also have not been putting loads of "mirrored" apk files in the /system/app folder, actually to the contrary.

So what's eating up my space? How do I determine what it is and what's normal?
  2. specmac

specmac Premium Member Premium Member

I haven't gotten to the point I'm concerned about the available memory, but I to have noticed it slowly decreasing over time even though I'm not installing an new apps. This has happend with a number of varying stock and custom roms I've used.

Maybe one of the developers can jump in on this and shed some light on what is happening.
  3. grreenpanda

grreenpanda New Member

I noticed this once. I began looking around and found that I had over 600 deleted emails in the trash folder, once I deleted all of those my memory went back up. Every couple of days I make sure to go in and delete the trash folder too..
  4. Nice95gle

Nice95gle New Member

Cache is eating up your memory. Even tho you are not installing new apps, the current apps may be caching. For example anytime you visit a website the browser may or may not cache the site. The News and weather widget also uses a lot for internal memory. Others notorious apps are the market, Youtube, Personal assistant (If you are using it)...etc.

Try clearing the cache of these apps and you will see the memory usage decrease.
  5. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Bingo. I've noticed an uptick in questions like this over the last month or so. I suspect it's because people have begun to experience low memory situations after extensive use of email and messaging. These apps need to be "cleansed" of data and cache from time to time.
  6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Please remember that I'm not talking about memory. If you're paying attention to your wording, then realize no where did I mention memory, but rather storage space.... space on the partition available.
  7. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Sorry, Jim. You'll have to be more specific. If you have a Droid you have about 256 megabytes of "memory," much of which is used up by storage of the o/s and various apps. You also have an SD card with 16 gigabytes of storage available.

If you are used to running "90-110 megabytes" of free space on your SD card, you have taken up a massive amount of storage space with something. Mine runs about 11 gigs of free space and I have hundreds of songs and other stuff on my SD card.

If you've partitioned your SD card, perhaps what is being reported is the amount of free space available in a particular partition.

I strongly suspect you are, indeed, talking about the storage available to memory and that varies directly with the amount of cache and data associated with various apps. And the total available is 256K. I'm currently running about 40 megs free and have for the last six months.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. rjax

rjax New Member

Android will put a running low on space notification in your notification bar when you're down to 26 MB (i.e. 10%) free.
  9. takeshi

takeshi New Member

I don't think paying attention is the issue. In your OP you state that you haven't installed any apps. Apps are installed in phone memory. The Droid has phone memory for such storage as well as the SD card (which is technically also memory, FWIW) for external storage.

To clarify, where and what exactly are you checking?

"Normal" obviously depends on your particular usage. You'd have to keep an eye on it to determine what your baseline is.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  10. jackson_ngo

jackson_ngo New Member

Is there any solution to this issue?

Best Regards,
    Jackson
  11. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

It's a non-issue & a necro-bump
  12. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Either uninstall some apps or move some apps to the SD card. As other have mentioned try clearing caches, but generally they will just grow right back again.
  13. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

The only thing I hate is when my Droid says space is low I still can't install anything even though there's enough space for it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. takeshi

takeshi New Member

How are you determining that you have plenty of space? It sounds as if you're looking at the wrong info. SD card space and RAM are not the same thing as internal storage.

Don't forget that data for apps also uses internal storage. It's frequently overlooked for some reason.
Search tags for this page
how to determine internal strorage of phone

how to free up android 2.1 internal storrage

how to increase available space on droid 3
what is using up all my gb on my droid internal storage