What should I get?

djaychris

Reaction score
Greetings,

I currently do not own a smartphone (and I think I'm the last person on earth without one). I'm thinking that it's time to take the plunge. I absolutely love having a physical qwerty keyboard as I do much texting. My current phone is a G'Zone Brigade (blocked data), and while the keyboard is spectacular and the phone is tough, the processor is absolute garbage. My needs for a smartphone are...

1.) Qwerty keyboard
2.) Tough (or has tough case available)
3.) Long Battery Life
4.) Affordable
5.) Great calendar

This has lead me to the droid 4. Are there better options for me? I can currently purchase a Droid 4 from Verizon for 99.99 with renewal of my contract. Is this the best option, or could I get an earlier/better version of the droid cheaper? I'm planning on getting the most basic data package from Verizon ($30/month). I will most likely surf the internet and maybe play a game or two. I'm not into listening to music on my phone or watching videos/TV.

-Thanks for your help

-Dan

npro1464

Reaction score
Well, it looks like there is only one phone for you: the Droid 4. It is a Razr with a keyboard basically, but it people have said good things about it's keyboard.

How much do you really need the keyboard? That really limits you to what you can get. IMO, the Droid 4 is bulky and keyboards are outdated. It's time to move on. If the phone has a 4.8 inch screen, I doubt you'll have any problems hitting the onscreen buttons anyway. Time to adapt!! If you wanted to expand you horizons, there are plenty of phones for you to choose from. The Maxx has nice build quality, excellent reception and the best battery life of any smartphone. The GS3 is the next big thing, if you're into that.

OP
D

djaychris

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Are touchscreen keyboards accurate or are you constantly hitting wrong letters? What droid is the best option if I don't go for a qwerty keyboard?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
You get better at it over time. And you can always download apps to change the look and "feel" of the keyboard if the default doesn't work too well for you.

Currently the best phone straight out the box with little knowledge of smart phones is the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus stock has some Wi-Fi and 4g issues but I think they've released an update to fix the 4g issues.

HTC Rezound is also a good phone but the stock battery is not the greatest.

Caesars

Reaction score
Droid 4 with extended battery and case :)

npro1464

Reaction score
Honestly, after today i would suggest looking at other carriers. Verizon has just made themselves by far the most expensive carrier to have a smart phone plan with. Try Sprint or T-Mobile. Look into the Galaxy S3, Evo 4g LTE or the Nexus.

If u have to get a smart phone with Verizon, get it soon. Before the 28th.