what program/app do you recommend for video chat via phone to laptop?

1android

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed the skype APK zip file to my TB. says I get a free 10 minutes to try and then after that I have to pay.

I'm looking for a program/app that my daughter can use on the laptop and I can talk to her via my phone for free.

what do you recommend?

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I think it's free when you do Skype to Skype. The minutes are for calling landlines, cell phones, etc. that aren't using Skype.

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
nevermind...I figured out skype. sorry

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
I believe google chat/talk is supposed to have something coming out.

techguru

Reaction score

Google talk supports video in Android 2.3.4 (only available on the Nexus S now). It is not clear if/when the Thunderbolt will get that upgrade or if they will back-port video support to 2.2.

In the mean time, the leaked Skype seems to be the best option, although there is another app (whose name I am forgetting right now, I'll edit if I remember) that came out in Beta last week and can do Google Chat with Video as well as a number of other IM connections. However, it only sees the back camera and not the front camera on the Thunderbolt, so I uninstalled until they get that updated (which is why I can't remember its name....)..

Alan

flooritnfly

Reaction score
Yahoo Messenger. I chat with my gf from my TB to her pc (laptop with Windows Vista I believe, might be 7 though) and even with a solid 3g signal I get little to no lag at all.

Beardface

Reaction score
The leaked Skype, as long as the other person has Skype as well.

Talked with a friend in Wales for about an hour last week interruption-free through Skype Mobile. I was impressed.

flooritnfly

Reaction score
Just tried the skype mobile app on my phone tonight to skype my girlfriend on her laptop.....the video quality was a bit bigger and better than Yahooo Mgr, but one major problem is if you are talking to communicate but the other person doesn't have access to a headset/isn't on a phone and has to send ims, then you literally have to exit the skype video call and go into the menu to read the im(s).
MAJOR FAIL.

This is where Yahoo Msgr. gets the upper hand, imo. When the other person ims you the im will flash in the notification bar on my TB, allowing me to read it there.
Win.

Jacob9424

Reaction score

Google talk supports video in Android 2.3.4 (only available on the Nexus S now). It is not clear if/when the Thunderbolt will get that upgrade or if they will back-port video support to 2.2.

In the mean time, the leaked Skype seems to be the best option, although there is another app (whose name I am forgetting right now, I'll edit if I remember) that came out in Beta last week and can do Google Chat with Video as well as a number of other IM connections. However, it only sees the back camera and not the front camera on the Thunderbolt, so I uninstalled until they get that updated (which is why I can't remember its name....)..

Alan

To be honest wouldn't you think the gingerbread update might take thunderbolt right to 2.3.4? I mean we have a camera to support it and everything so I don't see why they shouldn't update us to there.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

yniloc

Reaction score
I wish they would give us some idea as to when the next update will be. Knowing Verizon it will be a while even if HTC gets rolling quickly on it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

KillerKPD

Reaction score
skype > everything else for video chat

I agree, I have not had to try to find another app to do it. Skype has been fine for me. I chat from my TB to my wife on her macbook. Works without any issues for me.