What phones are truly rootable? (Current and upcoming)

Adrozz07

Reaction score
I'm a D1 owner and swear by it to this day. It by far has the greatest ROM selection and I believe its the "swiss army knife" of the Droid family, filling every roll possible for every type of user. This is all opinion of course. My upgrade is coming soon however and with the advent of 4G and dual-core tech it seems the worst possible time to have to decide on any one phone. Im just trying to get some feedback from some more technically learned people about what phones have the actual ability to be fully unlocked/rooted and which ones have the bootloaders that Devs dread to mess with. I say again, im not a programmer by any stretch, not a tech wiz, but I can navigate the rooting and flashing of my D1 just fine and enjoy it thoroughly. Im just looking for the same range of customization in my choice of upgrade. Any feedback would be great :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I like how u called it the Swiss army knife! Cool.
I have been eligible for upgrade for almost a month now. I personally chose to wait for lte or dual core super phones. The none of the newer phones have unlockable bootloaders as far as I know. The can get root access and custom roms and even some overclocking. It's seriously all preference moving forward in my opinion. I'm sure gaining root access on vzw phones will get more difficult in the future but I chose to hold off for a few months. Honestly tho I'm not entirely sure what I'm waiting for but I know some sick phones are on the way. :)

OP
Adrozz07

Adrozz07

Reaction score
Yeah, i think im ready to make the jump to a full touchscreen. Also waiting on the dual-core phones to really get the most out of an upgrade. Will just have to wait and see.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A lot of people love the dx. I think it's a great device that has tempted me but I'm holding back for now. If u r going to get something now, I think the dx is the way to go. :)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think your best will be any htc phone. Most if not all have been truly rooted and allow roms and changing of the kernel.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I think your best will be any htc phone. Most if not all have been truly rooted and allow roms and changing of the kernel.

Can't go wrong there. :) when tank makes a suggestion, I tend to listen.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

probably my next phone when they come out with one that has a front camera or dual core.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, htc's latest attempt failed, so I hope they don't plan on trying anything different on the new Inc HD. If not, then we will have at least one lte phone with roms and kernels :D

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, htc's latest attempt failed, so I hope they don't plan on trying anything different on the new Inc HD. If not, then we will have at least one lte phone with roms and kernels :D
The G2?

That was a NASTY trick to pull.

Yes, it was, but look at this kick-arse community. They took HTC's attempt to stop us and threw cyan colored android in their face.

I love it! :D

OP
Adrozz07

Adrozz07

Reaction score
HTC does indeed make a great product. Not quite sure im a fan of Sense interface though. How exactly do you go about finding out if a device is rootable or not before the devs get ahold of it?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC does indeed make a great product. Not quite sure im a fan of Sense interface though. How exactly do you go about finding out if a device is rootable or not before the devs get ahold of it?

We can't tell until the device is out and in the hands of someone capable who can check to see if there are any barriers that need to be overcome. But, unless htc comes up with a new trick, the next phones should be rootable for a while.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
But if you're going to root, root as soon as you can. Every update risks plugging whatever hole exists. I give you the 2C. 7C. bootloader on the previously completely-open Droid 1. Took a while to get that rooted right and even now some people are having problems getting it to work. :)