What phone should I get? (Verizon)

Fault

Reaction score
Alright guys. I am pretty new to the android world. I am currently using an LG Dare (a major disapointment of a phone might I add), and Im looking to upgrade to a Android phone. First off let me say, the phone has to be verizon, there is no changing that. I got the dare under the false idea that they would have apps, like verizon and lg promised. They lied. A lot. I hate LG and I will never buy one of their phones again for this reason. I have been looking at the incredible, and so far, it looks kick ass. I have played with it some and love the interface and web browser. Though with rumors of the Shadow/Xtreme/Droid 2, im not sure. So here is some info to help you guys help me:
-I do not care about whether I do or dont have a physical keyboard. Not crazy about the one on the droid, Id use it if I had it, but it wouldnt break my heart not to have one
-Virtual Keyboards do not bother me
-I will not use HDMI output. I have a super powerful pro gaming laptop (a Sager) with HDMI/DVI output, thats all Ill ever need really
-I would possibly use the composite output. I have an ipod that i normally use to watch movies on my tv with, but I guess it wouldnt be bad to have it on my phone to. As I said, not super important
-I want to be able to install ROMS. I am always into upgrading, editing, and changing my phone. I love making it custom and fun and different. I want to be able to have someone with the same phone as me look at my phone and just go "Why does his phone look totally different?" I want to be able to customize, and I want to be able to change it.
-I want a phone that there is other users have. If other users have it, its more likely their will be mod, app, and rom support for it. Even if the Incredible is the best phone on the market, but noone winds up rooting it, and they just move onto the shadow or xtreme, that will piss me off
-Video recording would be cool, but I dont need a super powerful camera. The most Id use it for is Video-logging my DJ events I work.
-I plan on playing lots of games, and apps
-A larger screen is always nice, but if it doesnt look as crisp, then I feel they are about equal
-Im a dj, so if there is a phone that somehow would work better than another, Id like that
-Ill use the internet A TON. Videos, browsing, and being on forums. All of it.
-I dont twitter, but wouldnt mind some good facebook support. Not to big on facebook, but my girl might want to use my phone for it
-I want FROYO!!!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just want to make sure I know what im getting into. Give me your opinions please!

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, sounds like the Droid may be the phone for you since you are into customizing. No phone on Verizon is currently better at customizing, and the huge hacking/theming community we have than the Droid.

OP
Fault

Fault

Reaction score
Well, sounds like the Droid may be the phone for you since you are into customizing. No phone on Verizon is currently better at customizing, and the huge hacking/theming community we have than the Droid.
But my question is will the Droid Incredible (assuming it gets the root) get a large following. Will the shadow? I dont really want to get 'old' technology with all this new stuff coming out. Better processor would be awesome

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
You could really go either either way here. The incredible has way better facebook integration because of the friend stream but if you are a rooter/modder you might as well just go with the droid. And one thing that came up here awhile back about the keyboard was that some people were getting flat ones and some raised. I have a raised keyboard so i actually end up using the keyboard all the time but of course you could get a flat one but the droid's screen size would make up for that for a virtual keyboard since you don't care. The Droid's video abilities are the best i've seen on a phone and the camera is ok. If you want to root and mod your phone just go with the droid. It already has froyo if you are rooted.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
But my question is will the Droid Incredible (assuming it gets the root) get a large following. Will the shadow? I dont really want to get 'old' technology with all this new stuff coming out. Better processor would be awesome

If at all, it would take the incredible months to get the community the moto droid has now. The Droid isnt old technology. The motorola razr is old technology. The moto droid is still one of the best smartphones.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can overclock the Droid to match or exceed the Snapdragon processor in the Incredible. Plus, the GPU in the Droid is better than the Incredible, the Incredible isn't very good for games. Since you are going to root, the processor in the Incredible doesn't even matter, you can match it with the Droid and get a better GPU. It will have a large hacking community, but I'm not sure if it will be as big as the Droid's. The Shadow/Xtreme probably not, since all MotoBlur phones don't have large hacking communities.

freemenot

Reaction score
Wait for the coming motorola phones. In my opinion, HTC is crappy plastic, but thats my opinion. A droid with the cpu speed and all of the features of the htc phone (proc camera etc) would be great.

OP
Fault

Fault

Reaction score
Will the incredible ever be rooted? I dont know anything about the rooting scene, so it may just be impossible, and thats what id like to know

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will the incredible ever be rooted? I dont know anything about the rooting scene, so it may just be impossible, and thats what id like to know
95% chance of happening.

OP
Fault

Fault

Reaction score
You can overclock the Droid to match or exceed the Snapdragon processor in the Incredible. Plus, the GPU in the Droid is better than the Incredible, the Incredible isn't very good for games. Since you are going to root, the processor in the Incredible doesn't even matter, you can match it with the Droid and get a better GPU. It will have a large hacking community, but I'm not sure if it will be as big as the Droid's. The Shadow/Xtreme probably not, since all MotoBlur phones don't have large hacking communities.

But lets say incredible gets a root, wont the incredible rooted be faster than a droid rooted? I dont mean to be so confronting, but I just dont want to get the droid, and then the shadow become the **** or w/e

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

But lets say incredible gets a root, wont the incredible rooted be faster than a droid rooted? I dont mean to be so confronting, but I just dont want to get the droid, and then the shadow become the **** or w/e
No because the Nexus One which uses almost the exact same processor (both are clocked to 1 ghz) can only handle a 1.2 ghz kernel while the Droid can handle potentially up to a 1.8 (some Droids can handle this, some cannot).

OP
Fault

Fault

Reaction score
No because the Nexus One which uses almost the exact same processor (both are clocked to 1 ghz) can only handle a 1.2 ghz kernel while the Droid can handle potentially up to a 1.8 (some Droids can handle this, some cannot).
Hmm ok. Every review I have been looking at between the droid and the indredible has only been in reference to the droid (nonrooted). Any1 have a comparison sheet between droid (rooted) and non rooted and incredible?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The only comparison sheet I've seen is between the iPhone 4, Nexus, Incredible, and Evo. You should just open up two tabs, Droid in one, Incredible in the other. No need for a third for a rooted Droid because there is none.

OP
Fault

Fault

Reaction score
The only comparison sheet I've seen is between the iPhone 4, Nexus, Incredible, and Evo. You should just open up two tabs, Droid in one, Incredible in the other. No need for a third for a rooted Droid because there is none.
So I mean whats the normal maximum over clock speed for a droid?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Most people can overclock to 1.2. Very few (I think I've seen only one person with this problem) are unable to overclock to 1.0. I haven't seen anyone that hasn't been able to overclock to 800. So you are safe to think that you will have a Droid running at 1.0 ghz.