1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What options exactly are meant by wipe?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by primus454, Jul 7, 2010.

1. primus454

primus454 New Member

So does it entail the factory restore, or manually clearing certain things? I am on SS 4.3 but am never quite sure what is exactly meant with all the talk of wiping.
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

When people say wipe data/cache, they mean booting into recovery and wiping data or wiping cache.
  3. primus454

primus454 New Member

Well all I ever see is "wipe" with no specifics. So I was just wondering what the general "wipe" entails.
  4. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

Wipes any and all personal data and settings changed/apps downloaded by the user.
  5. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

A "Factory Reset" wipes both DATA and CACHE. That is what I do if I want to WIPE.

With the bkapps and rstapps scripts (and the -c option) almost everything comes from the old install into the new install anyway ... so the updates are mostly painless now.

I did have issues with a couple of apps that were themed blue in SS4.1 and standard in SS4.3 (email, camera).

Basically, these are the steps I have used to upgrade with no issues:

1. Update your phone from the market to make sure you have the latest apps.

2. Go to "Settings" -> "Accounts & Sync". Make sure Background data and Auto-Sync are checked, then click on your account to manage. Once in the account, click the "Settings icon" on the phone and do a "Sync Now"

3. Download the latest bkapps.zip file from chevy and install it via SPBackup.

4. Open a terminal (or via "adb shell") and as root issue the command "bkapps -c"

5. Install the the Simply Stunning OS via SPBackup and reboot.

6. Install a custom kernel via SPBackup and reboot.

7. Open a terminal (or via "adb shell") and issue the command "rstapps -c"

8. Reboot

9. Sometimes I need to go to the "Settings" -> "Manage Applications" -> "All Applications" and pick the Market app and clear the cache, clear the data, force stop it to get it to allow me to sign back in and pull my info from my account.

10. Apply any updates/patches via SPBackup.

Others may do it something else.
  6. primus454

primus454 New Member

Okay, I think I know where my issue may have arisen. I did a factory restore going from 4.1 to 4.3, but rstapps did not work. I think it may have been a version issue. Oh well, getting everything back isn't -that- hard. Now I know to update bkapps first.
  7. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Some people prefer wiping any time they change ROM version numbers but wipe or factory restore isn't necessary when upgrading from SS 4.1 to 4.3.

I'd recommend Titanium Backup because it will backup all your apps, it's user friendly and it is free. But you can always wait 5 to 10 minutes after a wipe or factory restore and your apps should be restored back to the application drawer.
  8. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

4.3 is from source so going to it from any other rom that is not source (ie. 4.1 or 4.2) you should wipe to avoid any potential problems...

Between similar roms that are or are not from source ie. 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.3 to 4.4 a wipe is not required, but if you use titanium backup or rstapps -c you don't have to worry about restoring all of your settings or desktop apps.
  9. mph122074

mph122074 New Member

I did 2 write ups on this and the links are in my signature...Hope this helps answer a few questions...
Search tags for this page

clear cache mean

what does wiping the phone mean