WHAT? No tethering? HELP

andreah1

Reaction score
So, just got updated to JB, thought it was no big deal til I tried to tether to my laptop as I have done everyday for weeks. BUT, I can't! It says checking subscription and says I have to have the vzw plan for tethering. WHAT? Can I not tether anymore? I was hating vzw before but now I'm livid.

And, my nowphone is screen locked, I can't unlock it from sleep without a password. This started after the update, I've never password protected my phone. I've been on the phone with them for an hour and they can't figure out how to turn it off.

They are also telling me that yes, I can tether...funny but I CAN'T! Any ideas?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Do you mean Wifi tether or Usb tether.
USB = physically connected to laptop with USB cord to phone.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Yes, refering to verizon. And talking about USB tethering. Looks like we are SOL.

Update, I just finished my hour call with vzw, they wanted me to reset my phone, I said no because I don't think that's going to change the fact that they are now telling me I have to buy a subscription to tether. As far as the screen lock, I told him I'm willing to live with it instead of a reset.

Guess I'll now be searching again for a good free tether app. Foxfi used to be decent but now they charge. PDA I tried but it wouldn't even let me open facebook, said I have to buy their premium package (really?). Anyone ever use Clockworkmod? I'm so flipping ticked off right now.

ckonon

Reaction score
Yes, refering to verizon. And talking about USB tethering. Looks like we are SOL.

Update, I just finished my hour call with vzw, they wanted me to reset my phone, I said no because I don't think that's going to change the fact that they are now telling me I have to buy a subscription to tether. As far as the screen lock, I told him I'm willing to live with it instead of a reset.

Guess I'll now be searching again for a good free tether app. Foxfi used to be decent but now they charge. PDA I tried but it wouldn't even let me open facebook, said I have to buy their premium package (really?). Anyone ever use Clockworkmod? I'm so flipping ticked off right now.

Just pay the 6 bucks or whatever it was for Foxfi. I tether everyday as well and I feel it was totally worth it. They were right on top of getting the software updated for JB.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
I'm so flipping cheap, lol....I'll probably end up doing that but trying to find another alternative first. Not sure my desktop at home has wifi capability...will foxfi let me tether by usb too? Haven't looked at it in a long time.

ckonon

Reaction score
I'm so flipping cheap, lol....I'll probably end up doing that but trying to find another alternative first. Not sure my desktop at home has wifi capability...will foxfi let me tether by usb too? Haven't looked at it in a long time.

I hear ya, Foxfi is one of the few apps that i've paid for because it has been the best tethering app that I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. And to answer your question, it will let you tether with wifi, USB and bluetooth.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
For anyone reading this thread, I just found all the information I needed! I was in Google Play looking at the actual FoxFi app to see if I could find how long it stays "on" for free before you have to restart it. In the description it talks about having to download a certificate in order for it to work wirelessly as a connection. Well, that certificate requires a screen lock and that's why all of a sudden I had a proble with my screen locking and needing a password! Hey, I know more than a darn VZW rep now!!! LOL. Anyway, if you run into this problem and you don't want the screen lock, you have to go into security and clear all credentials and it will be gone, but then you will only be able to tether by usb. Hope this helps! :hail:
Still doesn't solve my problem of wanting to tether for free withouth having to restart the app over and over. Oh well, can't have everything!

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Android app name: WiFi Tether

More info: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

Works for me. My wife is having some issues, but it still works for her. Both phones are rooted.

I was just going to ask if anyone had tried this app wifie tether or barnacle wifi tether.
Is Wifi tether working on your phone with Jell bean ?

I used to use them way back with my original droid and have not had a use until know with the Jelly bean update blocking USB tethering.

WolfBrother

Reaction score
I updated both my wife and my own the two days ago to jellybean. WiFi Tether works.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
I'm not rooted so looks like I'll be stuck with foxfi......