What my iPhone friends dont like about my Droid

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my DROID seems pretty snappy on everything BUT the browser. Its very laggy. Dolphin was worse, but the stock browser is a little better. I really really hope they correct this, because at first I tried to ignore the lag, but now it is just extremely annoying.

bigthinker

Reaction score
I notice the Droid is very snappy in response almost everywhere....I do have an area that has been slow since day one and that is the texting or emailing window or the ability to get messages texted back quickly or the window opening up quickly to allow the text. This has been slow and the update hopefully will speed us all up a little.:motdroidhoriz:

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
well it's good to hear i'm not the only one that's noticed it!! hopefully it can get fixed soon

SGTiger

Reaction score
well it's good to hear i'm not the only one that's noticed it!! hopefully it can get fixed soon

I don't have the lag problem, but I could see where a phone that will multitask performing many things simultaneously could lag over a phone that can only do one thing at a time. The cpu should scream on such a simple single tasking device.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
If the community wouldn't mind a simple test? I'll post 3 urls that I have this issue with. All are video game forums. City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and Age of Conan. All three of these sites scroll in a very choppy fashion for me, some worse than others. CoH is the worst. I have checked all three sites on two different iPhones to see them perform admirably.

CoH

City of Heroes Forums - Powered by vBulletin
I only tried this one. Once it loaded, scrolling was super smooth in the Milestone browser on Shoals' latest ROM. On 2.01 or 2.1 I'm sure it would have been as bad or worse as every other site, including this one for scrolling lag.

Unfortunately, I do have to kill the browser process every hour or so, or it completely bogs down the entire phone.

Jeremy556

Reaction score

I don't have the lag problem, but I could see where a phone that will multitask performing many things simultaneously could lag over a phone that can only do one thing at a time. The cpu should scream on such a simple single tasking device.
The Droid has more than double the pixels to draw compared to the iPhone, but the browser scroll lag is a very real issue. If you compare an iPhone to a Droid running 2.01 on most any web site, side by side, you will notice the problem.

SGTiger

Reaction score
If you compare an iPhone to a Droid running 2.01 on most any web site, side by side, you will notice the problem.

Lag is lag. I use xScope and there is no lag for me. I have no doubt some are experiencing a lag, but what I am saying is that the iPhone doesn't multitask so there are no background apps to slow it down.

I cannot begin to imagine why Verizon doesn't have TV commercials hammering the iPhone's inability to multitask. That is huge IMO.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you compare an iPhone to a Droid running 2.01 on most any web site, side by side, you will notice the problem.

Lag is lag. I use xScope and there is no lag for me. I have no doubt some are experiencing a lag, but what I am saying is that the iPhone doesn't multitask so there are no background apps to slow it down.

I cannot begin to imagine why Verizon doesn't have TV commercials hammering the iPhone's inability to multitask. That is huge IMO.

+1 for xScope, no noticeable lag on most pages.

As for the VZW vs iPhone, there is still a LOT of expectation that VZW will at least try to get an iPhone at some point so it doesn't really do them any good to bash it directly. I think Apple has explicitly kept out of the carrier marketing battle(s). If you've noticed the last 3 AT&T commercials are non-device specific AND the only one that features an AT&T device features a BlackBerry NOT an iPhone.

smokinfish

Reaction score
One thing to remember. The iphone has been out for some time now. There operating system when they first came out wasn't spot on either also they didn't have many apps as well. In time I think the droid will trump the iphone but it's not going to happen overnight.

Adlerson

Reaction score
To the OP, you're not alone. I noticed this lagginess in the phone since day 1. It was there since before I installed my first app. Don't get me wrong, it's not like every single operation is taking ages to process, but a (too) large part of the time it's just not.. Snappy. I've had my Droid now for 2 months, I had the iPhone 3G before that, and my phone is less snappy than the iPhone. Or rather, when my Droid is fast it's REALLY fast, when it's slow it's really slow. For instance, half the time it takes 2-3 tries to unlock the screen from sleep, because the lagginess hinders the phone from registering my complete pattern sweep.
What really seems to be weird is that this is only affecting some of us. Unfortunately none of my friends have a Droid so I haven't gotten to play with any others, so I haven't gotten to compare in person.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Droid, and I would NEVER go back to the iPhone after this, but I would like this weird sluggishness gone. (Takes me 3-4 seconds to open the camera, for instance, and about the same amount of time to get the voice search (holding down the search button) going.)

strobez395

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it lagging in the actual apps but the phone does lag when changing homescreens or scrolling through all of your applications in the dropdown menu, if they could fix up that it would be very nice.