What my iPhone friends dont like about my Droid

jcardona1

Reaction score
So i have a few friends that own iphones, and theyve all gotten a chance to play with my moto droid. overall, they think it's a neat phone and the only phone that can be considered a real competitor to the iphone. they like certain features and all the little trick i show them, especially Swype :D

but as soon as they pick up the phone they notice right away that it's not as "snappy" as the iphone when it comes to touch screen responsiveness and scrolling. even a little laggy sometimes.

and i notice it right away too. im running stock home with just a few apps so i dont think its anything i have installed. so what is it that makes the scrolling/touch response slower than the iphone? any chances of this being fixed via an OTA update soon? :)

scribes200581

Reaction score
That seems really strange to me.

4 of the 6 guys i work with all have iphones. I just picked up a droid a few days ago, have downloaded 30 apps probably, uninstalled alot to, but customized the heck out of it, and it has zero lag on anything except some poorly written apps.

Changing home screen, opening phone, google voice, my exchange email, menus, just about anything, is super snappy. One of the guys i work withs iphone lags and the others doesnt.....

Sounds to me like you have an os issue or something, or a running app that is screwing up everything, cause mines snappy.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of us are hoping that 2.1 will deal with any lag issues, so do another comparison after the official update is pushed.

Until then, a task manager is a good way to speed things up if you are having lag issues. As soon as I post this message, another 10 people will state the exact same thing- that a task killer isn't needed. If you decide to try it out for yourself instead of going on what complete strangers tell you, I suggest Advanced Task Manager that is available in the Market.

mjs31

Reaction score
Having owned the Iphone 3gs I will say that responsiveness on the touch screen is just like the Iphone. Since 2.0.1 there has been some lag in the browser, but I am sure this will be corrected.

I would also like to add that I am able to select small objects (small numbers for the next page on forums for example) with much more accuracy on my Droid then I could with my Iphone.

Dr01d

Reaction score
So i have a few friends that own iphones, and theyve all gotten a chance to play with my moto droid. overall, they think it's a neat phone and the only phone that can be considered a real competitor to the iphone. they like certain features and all the little trick i show them, especially Swype :D

but as soon as they pick up the phone they notice right away that it's not as "snappy" as the iphone when it comes to touch screen responsiveness and scrolling. even a little laggy sometimes.

and i notice it right away too. im running stock home with just a few apps so i dont think its anything i have installed. so what is it that makes the scrolling/touch response slower than the iphone? any chances of this being fixed via an OTA update soon? :)

Hi Jacardona1,

I've been a lurker for awhile now but your post prompted me to register so I could finally post.

Your not alone here. I have noticed this exact same issue compared to my friends with iPhones. I even went so far as to take my Droid back and get it exchanged within the 30 day grace period just to see Best Buys floor model and my replacement also do the same thing. All of those phones are from Best Buys original shipment I was told so possibly that matters.

If the community wouldn't mind a simple test? I'll post 3 urls that I have this issue with. All are video game forums. City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and Age of Conan. All three of these sites scroll in a very choppy fashion for me, some worse than others. CoH is the worst. I have checked all three sites on two different iPhones to see them perform admirably.

CoH

City of Heroes Forums - Powered by vBulletin

WoW

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Forum Index

AoC

Age of Conan Forums - Powered by vBulletin

How does your Droid do here? Scrolls smooth as silk? Or choppy? I'd really be interested in finding out.

antyoo

Reaction score
see what running services you have going on in the background.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
interesting points. i actually just uninstalled my task killer app because i thought it may be causing some issues. i know one for sure made it seem as though my phone was very laggy; Apps Organizer.

i had three shortcuts on my phone via apps organizer - tools, apps, and games. trying to open these up took a long time, so i removed them earlier today. i went back to using plain folders and the response is MUCH quicker when trying to open them

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Having owned the Iphone 3gs I will say that responsiveness on the touch screen is just like the Iphone. Since 2.0.1 there has been some lag in the browser, but I am sure this will be corrected.

I would also like to add that I am able to select small objects (small numbers for the next page on forums for example) with much more accuracy on my Droid then I could with my Iphone.

Agreed. I think if anything the screen on the Droid is a tad TO SENSITIVE. For those of us with large hands it can be a real pain with you're trying to edit something like a pic or ringtone (where you want fine accuracy).

And I agree with JankG that there are times for a app killer. Just don't be OCD with it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I care about is how does the Droid compare to the Storm. I have Verizon, not AT&T and the truth is that the Storm can't lick the Droids boots. I could care less about the iPhone. That's not even an option.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
I understand slightly what your friends are stating, but updates should clear a lot of things up :icon_ lala:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a Mac user and a former iPhone 3G user. Purchased my Droid at the local VZW store between Christmas and New Year. To-date, I've not experienced any issues with my phone. At first, I thought the Droid was not as good as the iPhone. Now, however, that I've had some time with the Droid, downloaded apps, created folders, and other customized things, I'm very very pleased. The App store does have tons of apps but a large percent have no value.

The best thing about my Droid smart "PHONE" is that I DO NOT drop calls!

Mike

bllarkin

Reaction score
I notice a little here and there, but waiting another split second isn't that big of a deal to me. For one, Apple has an advantage when they design both the hardware and the software (this has always been an advantage for them). Second, I am coming from a Treo 755p, so anything is an improvement ;)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the iPhone (unless jailbroken) can only deal with one task at a time. The Droid may be running 5 processes in the background, which will obviously tax the cpu more. This is called multitasking and is one of the main things that separates it from the iPhone.

Reaction score
Having used an iPhone, I will agree that the Droid is not as snappy as the iPhone. According to my buddy at Google (who, let me state, is NOT associated with the Android project), Google is well aware of the issue, and is working on a fix for a future release. 2.1 will not be it. 2.1 should be quicker, but it's not what he was referring to. I'm holding out hope for Froyo.

Aluminum21

Reaction score
the screen is NOT as smooth as that of the iphone when changing the screens

hopefully 2.1 will change this