What makes them different? (rooting question)

koralyne

Reaction score
What makes the hero different from the droid? (rooting question)

My friend decided to root his phone. He knew i was looking into rooting my droid when i get it, so he turned to me.

Hes got the HTC hero, for sprint. (also on a side note, a lot of other phones were called the hero, yet when we were looking for a rom, there was an explicit note saying that some were for the REAL hero, and others said for the hero, but really meant they were for other phones, like the G1... wtf?) and I tried my best to help him root it, but it was so complex. we had to get the android sdk, do some tricky cmd stuff, and after about 3 hours of continuous failures, we gave up.

Why would the hero be so complicated, when all ive heard you gotta do for the droid is put an update.zip in the root, and hit the recovery screen and boot off that?

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahhh....every phone's a little different I guess...

I flashed a custom ROM over to a Samsung Omnia yesterday evening, first time I ever did any hacking to another phone besides my Droid....the Omnia didn't even require to be rooted or anything like that! Just simply flash the ROM....

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Ahhh....every phone's a little different I guess...

I flashed a custom ROM over to a Samsung Omnia yesterday evening, first time I ever did any hacking to another phone besides my Droid....the Omnia didn't even require to be rooted or anything like that! Just simply flash the ROM....

Thats interesting.

Heh, it seemed as though every single time we did something the next step would fail, untill ultimately we couldnt do anything.

...it didnt help that the guy that we were watching on youtube didnt actually HAVE the hero... he had a G1...

we couldnt figure out how to get into recovery mode, then the one we figured we got into didnt work. (edit: all we managed to do was factory reset his phone, and lose all his contacts and apps.)

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol....that does suck..

But hey, at least it wasn't your phone! ;)

That is odd cause you'd think all the Android phones would be relatively similar in the way you would perform these things....

Cause honestly, rooting a Droid is cake...I mean really, there's hardly anything to it...so I wouldn't know why it would be that difficult for the Hero...

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Lol....that does suck..

But hey, at least it wasn't your phone! ;)

That is odd cause you'd think all the Android phones would be relatively similar in the way you would perform these things....

Cause honestly, rooting a Droid is cake...I mean really, there's hardly anything to it...so I wouldn't know why it would be that difficult for the Hero...

I know what you mean (i feel sorry for my friend, he had a really REALLY bad day (what with tripping and destroying his 400$ tv)) and im glad the droid is gonna take like, a minute to root.

Its funny because the instructions that i followed said "root your Hero in one click" and it had like, 20 steps, and took us three hours to figure out we couldnt do it. Methinks its the way the phones bios/hardware gets its commands. the droid just... DOES... y'know?

(its also kinda awesome, since he bags on the droid a lot, then today he gets uber pissed off at his phone, saying its worthless and whatnot ;D)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha....yeah the Droid seems to just simply DO......what you need it to DO lol

Maybe the Hero needed a different set of commands? I don't know...that does seem aggravating and pretty crappy for your friend too, breaking his TV also that day...that sucks even more...

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Haha....yeah the Droid seems to just simply DO......what you need it to DO lol

Maybe the Hero needed a different set of commands? I don't know...that does seem aggravating and pretty crappy for your friend too, breaking his TV also that day...that sucks even more...

yeah *sigh* cant say i didnt warn him of his placement of it.

Funny thing is, i did all the instructions that they told me to do, and one of the instructions was to put in a specific command in a specific directory, and then it will result with:
#:
... but i got $:

it was weird. everything after that had "operation denied" or something. Ah well.

Cant wait to get me droid and instantly root it with maximum ease. ^_^

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah lol

I do know that in the command prompt, $ means your not rooted.....and # means you are

But since that was what you were trying to do, I don't know what else could've went wrong....but I'll tell you a good place to go for that stuff on different devices such as the Hero....is xda-developers

Just search for the Hero there and you may be able to find something on it....it's FULL of developers for like every phone out there almost...

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Oh yeah lol

I do know that in the command prompt, $ means your not rooted.....and # means you are

But since that was what you were trying to do, I don't know what else could've went wrong....but I'll tell you a good place to go for that stuff on different devices such as the Hero....is xda-developers

Just search for the Hero there and you may be able to find something on it....it's FULL of developers for like every phone out there almost...

Hmm... maybe ill give it another shot next time im with my friend.