What makes my D2G so slow?

seventieslord

Reaction score
My D2G started super fast when i bought it, but it's been really unresponsive lately. For example, when I haven't used it in a while and I unlock the screen and try to immediately swipe sideways through launcher pages, it takes a good 5 seconds to respond. Some apps take a while to start, too.

I'm wondering what I could have done to my phone to make it act like this. I don't think that a degradation in performance should just be "expected" over time. This phone should outperform my wife's galaxy, but right now it doesn't even come close.

Here are some potential causes.

- Lots of apps. I think I have around 120 apps in my drawer. I don't think this should be a problem but I am not an expert.

- All apps stored on the phone. I keep all my apps on the phone and not the SD card. I like it better because I think it's "cleaner" and my SD card space is valuable to me. Plus this is a unique phone in how much internal storage it has, so I may as well use it.

- lots of shortcuts on the desktop. I have 21 shortcuts and a folder on my desktop. I don't think that's a big deal... is it?

- Widgets. I know that widgets affect performance and I'm a widget freak. but is this an excessive number of widgets?

- Whiteboard
- facebook
- twitter
- google search
- soundhound
- 3G watchdog
- battery left
- LED flashlight
- appbrain
- two widgetsoid widgets with 8 buttons apiece
- one "android photo widget"

Anything else that could be doing this that I'm not thinking of?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would root, backup your stuff using Titanium Backup, then do a data wipe.

CM74DX

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Most likely just too many things running at the same time. It may be "good" to have your memory full, but it has drawbacks, such as extreme slowdowns. Use your task manager. It's not there for nothing. Just don't set it on auto, whatever you do.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Get rid of the apps you dont need/use often. I had alot of apps at one point just to have but i never used them and i did notice the phone run a bit faster after cleaning out my d2g. I'm more of a "clean" person when it comes to my d2g. I only have 2 widgets, and 3 app shortcuts on my home screen.
Have you already used up the 8gbs on the microsd card?

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Apps takes up space, so the device doesn't have much space to run stuff through it! But yeah I would root too...and than supercharge it!
All my apps are on my d1 homescreen and it runs pretty smooth...all 67 apps and 5 Widgets oc'd at 800mhz only

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I would root, backup your stuff using Titanium Backup, then do a data wipe.

CM74DX

I am rooted and my Titanium backups are up to date. What is the benefit to a data wipe? Is there anything that TB doesn't backup that I might want to keep? and how would I do this data wipe?

Most likely just too many things running at the same time. It may be "good" to have your memory full, but it has drawbacks, such as extreme slowdowns. Use your task manager. It's not there for nothing. Just don't set it on auto, whatever you do.

I don't have many things running. My "memory" isn't full, and I think you're thinking of RAM. (and I don't know in what situation it would be "good" to have full memory or internal storage anyway)

Have you already used up the 8gbs on the microsd card?

I don't think it is an SD card, is it? If so, it's not the same as a usual internal storage (like a galaxy). but anyway, no, I'm not even close to the limit. I have about 5 Gigs free. It's just used for the OS and Apps.