What makes a ROM a "good" ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by dweezle, Aug 25, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. dweezle

dweezle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have been hooked on various different "areas of interest". Cars, Mountain bikes, firearms, computers, cameras, knives..... Each time I'd start out as a complete novice and read what others thought. At first I just believed what I read about what was generally thought to be "good". After a while I knew enough to form my own opinion.

I just bought my 1st smart phone, a Droid X. It came rooted and running Apex 2.0 RC2. At this point I don't know enough to do anything more than read the opinions of what other people think about the various ROMs. So, I'm curious what people on this forum think makes for a "good" ROM. What would get you to try a different one than the one you have on your phone, at the moment?
  2. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    For me a good Rom offers a combination of the following:
    • Stability
    • Features
    • Battery Life
    Other then that i usually try many of them for fun and usually end up going back to my ultimate favorite, Sourcery. Not sure which are good for the Droid X but i'm there are great ones to try out.
  3. d4dEf@c@

d4dEf@c@ Member

Ratings:
    +2
    For me I like an AOSP ROM (based on Google source code) over modded stock ROMs. Apex is AOSP and is a great ROM, especially for battery life. I like a ROM to move fluidly, little to no lag when changing screens. I like it to feel like it can keep up with me. I like my apps to load fast.

I am a fan of Cyanogenmod7 because it is an AOSP ROM, but it has many modifications. I like customization options. One click themeing, tweaked UI for perfomance, toms of options for additional customization. For me that is what makes a good ROM.