What kind of "maintenance" do you do to keep your phone running good?

Erikbal

Reaction score
Hello all, I am just wondering if there's anything I should or can be doing to keep my phone running tip top and all of that. I am NOT rooted but have been perfectly happy with this phone, I have no complaints at all really. Obviously improved battery life would be nice, but I keep the 4g off a lot and always use wifi at home and have gone over 24 hours that way and still had 50% battery or so. It's amazing how the 4g sucks the battery. I am actually using the 4g on purpose at the moment to wear the battery down low and then do a full charge. I read that this is a good thing to do about once a month. I also read it's good to power the phone off and let it do a complete charge. Is it really necessary to leave the phone off the whole time? I restart my phone every couple days but hardly ever actually have it turned off for any amount of time. Anyways thanks for your time and input guys! I'd like to make this phone last me as long as possible, especially since I don't have insurance. I know I know...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

SylenThunder

Reaction score
Once a month I'll drain the battery completely dead, and then fully charge it before powering it back on. It was rooted until JB broke the root, still working to fix that, but it's not a priority yet. Aside from that, I just clean up the apps every few months and plug it in every night.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
As said, train your battery about once a month and I clear my cache in stock recovery (or whatever recovery you are running) once every two weeks or so.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Once a month I'll drain the battery completely dead, and then fully charge it before powering it back on. It was rooted until JB broke the root, still working to fix that, but it's not a priority yet. Aside from that, I just clean up the apps every few months and plug it in every night.

Draining fully (0% and self-shutdown), is not recommended. It may not ever give you a problem, but if your meter ever gets far enough out of sync, you could suffer the dreaded "white light of death". Also, discharging to the lower limit does stress the battery and will shorten its lifespan. You really only need to discharge to the point where the phone produces a pop-up window telling you to connect to the charger. Then power down and charge fully.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Charging the phone too often doesn't have any bad effects does it? If I am home and leaving soon I will plug my phone in for a while before I leave, even if it's at like 70% or higher. Also usually whenever I am driving I keep it plugged into the car charger. I don't like getting stuck with a dead phone. Does it hurt anything keeping it plugged in when fully charged while using the phone? Since these batteries are internal and can't be replaced I want to make sure I get as much life out of mine as possible. Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, quite the contrary. The type of battery in these phones has a unique chemistry that actually "prefers" to be in a charge level range that is narrower than the full (100%) to empty (0%) range that the manufacturer sets. In other words, it "likes" between 90% and 10% better, and actually "likes" between 80% and 20% even better still. This results in the battery having less charging and discharging stress (this happens at near full and near empty more so than during the middle of the discharge cycle).

As a result, partial charges during the middle of the discharge cycle are not only NOT going to hurt the battery, but will do two things...one, it will extend your run-time for the day by giving it the partial charge boost, and two, it will help to prolong the lifespan of the battery as well.

So go on and plug in, whenever and wherever possible and have no fear. The charging circuit will monitor the battery's levels and protect from overcharge so there's no reason not to plug in.

Good luck!

:biggrin:

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot, that makes me feel better! Now the only thing I worry about is the charging port itself breaking from plugging and unplugging it so much! Lol, I hope not!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I wouldn't worry about it... Per Wikipedia, read the following;

The Micro plug design is rated for at least 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles—significantly more than the Mini plug design.[SUP][38]

[/SUP]