What Kernel?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by jrd761, Dec 15, 2010.

1. jrd761

jrd761 New Member

So I'm quite new to the whole ROM thing and was reading online at different messageboards about a Kernel..

I understand what it is and what it does, but what one do I want to get?
    I just installed the metiCkMOD FRG83D ROM last night on my Motorola Droid (1), and there is a link there suggesting ChevyNo1 Kernels..
    but, on their site at http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/froyo/kernels3, what kernel do I get?
    Or, do I really need to worry about getting one?
    How is it installed?
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

It already has a kernel. Kernels are for over/under clocking the processor. If you don't want to do that you don't need a new one. (The rom comes with one, if it didn't your phone wouldn't be working right now!)

If you are interested in that look for the thread called "overclocking 101" in the Rescue Squad area of this forum.

There are many kernels and some like certain phones better.

A kernel is installed the same as a rom. It is done after the rom has loaded.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. white_ash143

white_ash143 New Member

Fitting a kernel to a phone is a hit or miss process. Some work better than others and whatnot. I recommend starting with slayher's LFY 1.7 kernels in the liquid section. Stick with a moderate speed at first and determine your stability and battery life. If it sucks, try a lower clock speed first and recompare. If that doesn't work go to a different kernel like chevy's, p3droid's, jdlfg (even though i've yet to try this one as the last topic I found was months old). Start with low voltage and moderate clock speed and work your way down in speed to find a stable one.... then try using the lower voltages until phone becomes unstable. ALWAYS make a nandroid backup before flashing a different kernel if you aren't used to the one you flash.

Edit: I personally use slayher's 1100mhz version 1.7 kernel. Chevy's ulv and lv crash my phone and p3droid's eat my battery....
  4. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1! Excellent post btw! :)

DroidForums junkie!!
  5. white_ash143

white_ash143 New Member

Lol thanks.... I just posted my experience with it and paraphrased what I read from some post I saw a few months back... I'm pretty sure there's a sticky somewhere on DF.net that explains this better....